Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Windows 7 and Confidence Online Utility Driver blocked issue - SEP 12.0.122.192

Created: 25 Oct 2009 • Updated: 15 Oct 2010 | 25 comments

Hi

I installed Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition on a laptop running Microsoft Windows 7.
The Symantec software installed and operates properly (i.e., LiveUpdate and scanning).

However... I am getting the following Windows pop-up PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY ASSISTANT.

"This driver is blocked due to compatibility issues: A driver is installed that causes stability problems with your system. This driver will be disabled. Please contact the driver manufacturer for an update that is compatible with this version of Windows."

Driver: Confidence Online Utility Driver
Publisher: Symantec

When I click on CHECK FOR SOLUTIONS ONLINE box, I click VIEW PROBLEM DETAILS...

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name:          ApphelpHardBlock
Problem Signature 01:         {f9ab2228-3312-4a73-b6f9-936d70e112ef}
Problem Signature 02:         {d7db00c9-c38a-4233-8b2f-9e3261c7e719}
OS Version:                            6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID:                                1033

This pop-up is at random times.

Symantec Product:  Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition (Version 12.0.122.192)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (64-bit)

This also happens on Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (32-bit) on my other laptop also.

Is there an update or fix to this problem?
The PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY ASSISTANT pop-up window does give the option to DON'T SHOW THIS MESSAGE AGAIN.
What is the driver? What is the issue? And is there a fix?

Thank you

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 25 CommentsJump to latest comment

Grant_Hall's picture

Well Windows 7 isn't actually supported with SEP 12 yet. The new edition of SEP 12 will be out very quickly though, keep an eye out for it in mid november. I am assuming these issues will be taken care of in this update. I will post back here with the link to download when it becomes available.

Thanks,
Grant

Please don't forget to mark your thread solved with whatever answer helped you : )

GemSquash's picture

Hi Grant

I have also picked up the error and was wondering if I could download the latest edition of SEP that will fix the problem.  You mentioned Mid November, hence my request.  I have been a Norton Man for 30 years (Norton Utilities Ground Zero) and don't think it is necessary to change to anything else.  I just upgraded to W7U and my HP ML110 G5, which I turned into a media server, is flying beautifully.  Please come back to me soonest.

Thanks
James

GemSquash's picture

Hi Jack

The rest of my SEP 11 is working perfectly despiter the nusance error "Confidence Online Utility Driver"  As long as the updates are done and the SEP Window is Green you will be fine.

Cheers
James

aqsource's picture

I'm running into the same issue and specifically bought the Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition because on this page, it says it is a supported operating system along with W2K8 R2: http://www.symantec.com/business/products/sysreq.jsp?pcid=pcat_security&pvid=endpt_prot_sbe_1

If it's not supported, then why list it as a supported operating system?

aqsource's picture

I installed SEP 12 and Symantec Protection Center on Windows Server 2008 R2 and it choked the server off. I can connect (though very slowly) via remote desktop. File transfers over the network or to/from a flash drive initiate (barely) and then fail.

This absolutely sucks, again because symantec claims in its marketing materials that W7 and W2K8 R2 are supported operating systems. This kind of thing is why my company started using Kaspersky about a year ago.  

aqsource's picture

OK both sales and Symantec tech support INSISTED with great confidence that the latest version, 12.0.1, is compatible with R2/Win7 (however, the list of supported OS does not show it). So like a fool, i believed them and installed on W2K8 R2 and Win7. It seems to work fine on W2K8 R2 but the Win7 clients for some reason are unable to receive a lease from the DHCP server. Network monitor shows the Win7 client broadcasting DISCOVER and the W2K8 R2 DHCP server receiving the DISCOVER and sending OFFERs. However, something is blocking this on the client level because it never hears the OFFER. This is another problem i have had with SEP in the 12.0 release.

I am very disappointed with Symantec. I should not have to troubleshoot this type of issue which is not an "oddball" kind of thing. It's simply communication with a DHCP server - a critical corporate function that happens every day in any corporation.

depmod's picture

I have the same problem. Win 7 64 bit EndPoint Security 12.0.122.192. Confidence Online Utility Driver The driver is blocked due to compatibility issues. After it is blocked whenever I try to run Symantec Endpoint Protection I receive the popup as if it is installing something multiple times. First time using this forum so I do not know if I automatically receive an email if there is a post. Please let me know.

aqsource's picture

As i said earlier, if you download the latest version, this problem with the confidence online utility driver should go away. It's 12.0.1.

Although, it does generate a new problem for one of my systems that uses NVidia network adapters. Upon reboot, the network adapters stop functioning! All other systems across W7 and W2K8 R2 seem to be working fine.  

I've been working with Tech Support on this issue - Micah Magpale in particular. I must say, he's the ONLY tech at Symantec that i've ever spoken with who's worth a darn. Highly capable, knowledgeable, courteous, patient, and even has a sense of humor. 

depmod's picture

Thanks a lot aqsource. I am sorry but I've checked the support pages but could not find where to download the new version. Can you help? Thanks in advance.

aqsource's picture

I just went here https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=77956 and downloaded the latest trial version, and then just used my retail key to activate. I suppose that if you already have a previous version installed, that this will just upgrade to the 12.0.1 version.  

depmod's picture

Thanks a lot. However i downloaded from https://fileconnect. symantec.com. There you enter your serial no and it lets you download. Thanks again for your help.

jt801's picture

The original poster refers to version 12.0.1 (12.0.122.192) and this is, in fact, the version that is causing the driver alert issue.

Yes, Symantec states that this is compatable with Windows 7 but this is just not true. Downloading the same version over and over is not going to resolve the problem.

Symantec, can you please just distribute a patch through LiveUpdate to correct the problem?

chrislynn5's picture

I too have 12.0.122.192 and it keeps stating "Confidence Online Utility Driver Compatibility Issue" then states that my mfg (you) need to address the issue.
It's 12/21/09, long past Windows 7 launch, I did see the post about not supporting RTM.

Server: Windows 2008 R2 standard
Desktop: Windows 7 Pro

Snow Leopard's picture

The 12.0.1001.95 client fixes the driver compatibility issue with unmanaged clients, however 12.0.1 Protection Center disabled Windows 7 installation period which makes the SBE bundle worthless for deploying managed clients. I spent an 1h on the phone with support today over this issue and no notes for the support team indicating if or when Protection Center will support Windows 7. Symantec should close their doors and turn out the lights. How long have we all had Windows 7 RC to upgrade our products?

MSoft Guru's picture

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, standalone installation

The message I receive:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Program Compatibility Assistant

This driver is blocked due to compatibility issues

Driver: Confidence Online Utility Driver
Publisher: Symantec

A driver is installed that causes stability problems with your system. This driver will be disabled. Please contact the driver manufacturer for an update that is compatible with this version of Windows.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So as of February 6, 2010 This is STILL an issue???? Through the compatability checker I was directed to the following link.

Which essentially says I'm compatable, and shouldn't be receiving the error message I'm seeing. Is it that I'm on 7 with a 64 bit OS? Is this a MS issue or Symantec? My system is completely up to date, Symantec and 7. What now???? I was planning to migrate an entire office to this very setup, but now I'm questioning Symantec. I couldn't be happier with Windows 7 x64, so my only question is wether or not to keep Symantecs in hopes of a resolution to this issue.
aqsource's picture

Well, the system i was having an issue with had a hardware failure so i've completely built a new system. Now that i am no longer using Nvidia network adapters, i seem to have no issues at all. Again, if you use 12.0.1 it should be compatible. The link you referenced probably still needs to be update. i don't think Symantec's right hand knows what the left hand is doing. This article should have been updated weeks ago.  

ericvas's picture

I have exactly the same problem with the "Confidence Online Utility Driver".  I've got three Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installs.  Each has this problem.  I'm using "Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition" version 12.0.122.192.

Does anyone know the impact of this problem.  Are the problem machines still "protected".  What features are degraded by this?

- Eric

NJSIAA's picture

Last comment 7 weeks ago !!!!
If somebody find finally resolution for this issue.?
I just stuck with same error on my 55 network manager windows 7

depmod's picture

Well like aqsource told I downloaded the version 12.0.1 on my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Sony Vaio. And I have no problems anymore. FYI.