Video Screencast Help
Scheduled Maintenance: Symantec Connect is scheduled to be down Saturday, April 19 from 10am to 2pm Pacific Standard Time (GMT: 5pm to 9pm) for server migration and upgrade.
Please accept our apologies in advance for any inconvenience this might cause.

Windows 7 HII image crashs with Dell 790 hdd with AF technology

Created: 08 Jan 2013 • Updated: 15 Jan 2013 | 17 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I made up an image for Windows 7 x64 Hardware Independant Image that has been working with our Dell Optiplex 790's. A second order of them was made, now all of a sudden the 790's contain hard disks with Advanced Format (AF) technology built in. Now my HII image will not work. i recive the mesage continuously: "Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware". This happens during the mini setup of Windows 7.

Our first order of Dell 790's did not contain AF hard disks and they are fine with the HII. The second order that has AF hard disks are not working. The image was done with RDeploy, but after re-builing the image with RDeploy and Ghost to figure out what is breaking the image I am coming up with nothing. We are using WINPE 2.1 that is out of the box with Altiris DS 7.1. Is WINPE 3.0/3.1 the absolute solution to all of this????? If so has that been tested and approved? I have to get this fixed as soon as I can.

Comments 17 CommentsJump to latest comment

bhawver's picture

The above comment is right.  If you already do your imaging using ghost, you'll just need to add a switch so that it aligns the sectors appropriately.  We have it set so that all "GHO" images use this switch in Altiris.

-clone,MODE=restore,SRC=%IMAGE_FILENAME%,DST=1 -align=chs -sure

This would be put in the "Additional Parameters" area.

Brian Hawver
Systems Engineer
Yaskawa America, Inc.

Connect Etiquette: "Mark as Solution" those posts which resolve your problem, and give a thumbs up to useful comments, articles and downloads.

MJammer's picture

Hi bhawver

I am using ghost primarily with this issue. I currently use RDeploy for images but I want to migrate over to ghost since RDeploy is no longer supported for future issues.

I using a boot with WINPE2.1, I added ghost32.exe (x86 version) to the root of the boot cd. When the disc loads I am at a X: prompt and type ghost32 and it opens. This morning I am trying the above paramters that go along with the ghost32.exe. Here is my example and results:

First I manaully map to my share on altiris with all our images.

X:\>ghost32 -clone,MODE=restore,SRC=test area\windows 7\HIITEST01.gho,DST=1 -align=chs -sure

Result is: ABORT: 19010, Arguments must be proceeded with a '-' or a '/'

If i use:

X:\>ghost32 "-clone,MODE=restore,SRC=test area\windows 7\HIITEST01.gho,DST=1 -align=chs -sure"

Result: ghost opens up with Usage Error 453   ! ',' or null expected after 1 -align

Am I doing something wrong with the parameters? The ghost paramters overall are a bit overwhelming.

bhawver's picture

The problem is probably in the "SRC=test area\windows 7\HIITEST01.gho"  It probably doesn't like the spaces.  Try enapsulating the path with quotes "".

Example:

ghost32 -clone,MODE=restore,SRC="test area\windows 7\HIITEST01.gho",DST=1 -align=chs -sure

Brian Hawver
Systems Engineer
Yaskawa America, Inc.

Connect Etiquette: "Mark as Solution" those posts which resolve your problem, and give a thumbs up to useful comments, articles and downloads.

MJammer's picture

Thanks, I did make a mistake that I finally noticed. in the SRC; I left out the letter for our drive mapping, left out the Z:\. The ghost executable worked, but sorry; the image still error'ed as usual. I am out my last end with this and these AF hard disks.

Guess what, I do have another image in place specifically that Dell put on our 790's when the order was made. That one works. No error while Win 7 mini setup runs it's course. The difference maker that I noticed when this problem was first brought to myself; the extra drivers for Hardware Independant Image. I'll stop there for now, not sure if I should bore you with the details I do in my image. If you want to hear it I would appreciate it, maybe you have an idea of an accomplishment with this problem.

bhawver's picture

We're here to help as much as possible.  If you are still getting the same error, try renaming your structure to get rid of the spaces and see if that helps...I think it is treating the spaces as individual arguments instead of the path.

If you think it's relevant to your problem, by all means elaborate on your imaging process.  If it's not, but you still need help with that portion of it, start a new thread on your imaging process (HII).

Brian Hawver
Systems Engineer
Yaskawa America, Inc.

MJammer's picture

Well, I think my imaging process may have something to do with it. Before I said a single image was built and sent to Dell to put on the entire 790 order. This image works with the AF hard disks. The difference between this image and my HII image is the extra drivers I add. With the HII, I need this image to work on Optiplex 790/780/760/755. Note: (drivers for 780 and 760 work on both models).

Working with those added drivers, I found out if I leave out the SATA drivers (for 780/760, and 755) the HII image works. If any of those SATA drivers are added to the file repository the image will not work on a hard disk with AF. I think it has to do with SATA drivers somehow but I have no clue what could be problem.

bhawver's picture

What errors are you getting when you deploy the HII in minisetup?  If it bluescreens or has storage issues, I've found that Dell isn't always consistent in how they leave their BIOS settings when they ship new machines.  If your original image was on a machine with the SATA settings to AHCI and Dell ships the new machine with it set to RAID, that will definitely cause problems.  That's why I've had to discuss with my techs on more than one occassion that it's important that they check the BIOS settings before imaging everytime.

Brian Hawver
Systems Engineer
Yaskawa America, Inc.

MJammer's picture

I doubt it is the BIOS settings. Our Dell Optiplex 790's BIOS setting is always set to AHCI for Windows 7. There is not a RAID setting on this model's BIOS.

The error message that comes up during Windows 7 mini setup is "Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware".

Here is the mini setup process up till the error:

1. 'Setup is starting services'

2. 'Setup is installing services' This begins installing from 1% up to 90 or so %.

3. Error box with the above message comes up at 90% or so %.

bhawver's picture

I would still verify that it is set for AHCI if your image was based on that setting.  My example is from the Latitude E6420 machines.  Most machines will have three options for the SATA operation modes, this setting is extremely important when dealing with images as Windows cannot switch back and forth between these settings.

Brian Hawver
Systems Engineer
Yaskawa America, Inc.

MJammer's picture

The image is built for teh AHCI setting. In my Hardware Independant Images I always make sure SATA drivers are added for hard disk performance. Normally the file iaAHCI.inf is added for teh Windows 7 images with use of the RAPR Tool. I add extra dirvers for other models with this tool, plus printer drivers. In Windows XP HII I add the iaAHCI.inf's in the sysprep.inf file under the [SysprepMassStorage] area.

Here is an example taken from my current Windows XP HII:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\755\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\755\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\755\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\755\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\755\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\755\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\755\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5029&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\755\iaahci.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\760\iaAHCI.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\760\iaAHCI.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\760\iaAHCI.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\760\iaAHCI.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\760\iaAHCI.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\760\iaAHCI.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\760\iaAHCI.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\760\iaAHCI.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\760\iaAHCI.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C02&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\drivers\hdd\790\iaAHCI.inf

FYI, my XP HII is working fine with the Hard Disks with AF technology. Even though I researched that XP images should not work.

bhawver's picture

Do you have a non-AF drive you can try this on in the same machine just to rule out something being wrong with the image or drives for that specific machine?

Brian Hawver
Systems Engineer
Yaskawa America, Inc.

MJammer's picture

Way ahead of you. Tried a non-AF hard disk in the Dell 790. Downloaded the Windows 7 HII. IT WORKS!!! It is the AF hard drives that are breaking this image.

bhawver's picture

Try changing the -align=chs to -align=1MB

Brian Hawver
Systems Engineer
Yaskawa America, Inc.

MJammer's picture

None of that were working, but this did get resolved the otherr day with Dell. I have to leave out all the SATA drivers for the computers used with the Hardware Independent Image. I tried it and it works. I have a hard time accepting that SATA's are not required because Windows 7 sees SATA's and AHCI BIOS setting natively. Guess I am leaving the SATA drivers out for now on.

SOLUTION
bhawver's picture

Thanks for posting your resolution.  Maybe it will help someone else.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Brian Hawver
Systems Engineer
Yaskawa America, Inc.

MJammer's picture

You did help with your example on ghost32.exe

Example:

ghost32 -clone,MODE=restore,SRC="test area\windows 7\HIITEST01.gho",DST=1 -align=chs -sure