Symanec Protection Suites

View Only
  • 1.  Windows 7, symtdi.sys and SEP 12.1

Posted Aug 04, 2011 11:09 AM

Rolled out SEP 12.1 yesterday here.  All of our Windows 7 32-bit system failed to restart normally, ending with a blue screen blaming a file called symtdi.sys.  In order to get these systems up and running again, I went in via safe mode and deleted the symtdi.sys file from the windows/system32/drivers folder and rebooted.  After that, the systems booted normally.  I opened SEP and it finished its updates and showed that there were no problems with the systems.  Is this deletion going to come back to haunt me?

• 2.  RE: Windows 7, symtdi.sys and SEP 12.1

Posted Aug 05, 2011 01:09 PM

Same exact thing happened with our 32-bit Windows 7 PCs last night.  I am also wondering if relocating the symtdi.sys file will come back to haunt me, but it was the only way to successfully boot the systems.  I took the additional step of exporting an install package with desired components, etc and manually executing it on the affected PCs after relocating symtdi.sys and rebooting.  However, I still see errors in the system log about this file failing to load.  Waiting on Symantec for a reply here.  I'm really surprised this one got past QA.

• 3.  RE: Windows 7, symtdi.sys and SEP 12.1

Posted Aug 10, 2011 02:37 AM

Upgrade of SEPM went ok, but when we tested upgrading one of our Windows 7 PC it got BSOD with symtdi.sys error. After removing that file the PC started, but SEP doesn't work.

I noticed that the program folder for SEP contains a mix of v11 files and v12 files after upgrading.

We have put roll out on hold until this issue is resolved. So if Symantec representatives reads this forum, please fix.

• 4.  RE: Windows 7, symtdi.sys and SEP 12.1

Posted Aug 18, 2011 03:56 PM

Tested v12.1 upgrade on one unmanaged and one managed SEP client running Win7 32bit.  In both cases got the BSOD on that symtdi.sys file and had to remove it to get the system to boot.  V12.1 seems to be working OK in both systems now but like was said the missing symtdi.sys file now logs in the windows logs.

We are running v11.0.6200.754, will try and update test machines to 11.0.7xxx prior to upgrade to see if that makes a difference.  Probably standing down on our v12.1 rollout until Symantec addresses this as BSOD is a showstopper.

• 5.  RE: Windows 7, symtdi.sys and SEP 12.1

Posted Aug 18, 2011 05:25 PM

Tried upgrade on Vista 32bit, same BSOD.  Fail.  Also upgraded to the new v11.0.7xxx client but doesn't upgrade the symtdi.sys so guessing its not going to make much difference for the upgrade.

• 6.  RE: Windows 7, symtdi.sys and SEP 12.1

Posted Aug 23, 2011 05:00 PM

After waiting patiently for some comment from Symantec, I tried installing the new version on a new out-of-the-box system running the same version of Windows 7 as those that had the problem.  The installations went fine and have not had a problem.  Then I uninstalled the program from one of the systems that had the BSOD and then pushed out the new version to it.  The installation went fine with no BSOD.  Sounds like an upgrade issue.  This isn't the first software upgrade that I've had to do this way.  The other was a client for our patching software (Lumension).  In the Lumension case, I had to install an older version of the client.  You'd think with Windows 7 being 2 years old, that these things would be behind us by now.