File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Windows 8.1 / Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 RC / PGP WDE 10.3.2

Posted Apr 22, 2014 08:41 PM

Hello

Can someone tell me why Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 RC will not allow me to update / save / change any file in any solution stored anywhere on my local disk, while the PGP services are running?

I'm running Windows 8.1 with the update, Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 Release Candidate, and PGP WDE 10.3.2 (trial currently for next 30 days) ...everything worked normally on my workstation with respect to this application until the introduction of WDE. 

Shutting down PGP services from the system tray allows me to save / update / change all files in any project stored anywhere on my local disk.

I haven't tried any network connected shares or anything outside the computer, but have no need to. 

Please let me know if there are things I need to be turning off, enabling or disabling to make this application function correctly.

Thanks

john

• 2.  RE: Windows 8.1 / Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 RC / PGP WDE 10.3.2

Posted Apr 22, 2014 10:37 PM

Confirmed this was not only happening on my laptop but also on my desktop as well.  Same configuration.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• 3.  RE: Windows 8.1 / Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 RC / PGP WDE 10.3.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 28, 2014 06:30 AM

Hi John,

It is a little strange, but it could be some conflict with the Messaging or File Share Encryption components.
    Do you use any of these?

If not please remove MAPI-related, LSP and Netshare components. (Backup your data, and you may want/have to decrypt the disk first.)

References:
    Encryption Desktop (formerly PGP Desktop) installation MSI switches to disable components at installation - HOWTO84112

How to extract the Symantec Encryption Desktop MSI Installation File from the .exe standalone installer - TECH167331

Please let me know if it works.

Rgs,
    dcats