Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Windows 8/8.1 and SEP 12.1.4 Wifi Certificate errors deprecated dialog box vs Metro

Posted May 13, 2014 04:29 PM

I haven't seen anything about this, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

My company has a wireless network with a self-signed cert and when connecting to wifi, I get a certificate warning. In Win 8/8.1 it looks like the following:certificate error metro.png

Which is fine and dandy.  I click connect and everything is ok.

However, when I install SEP 12.1.4, this error is replaced by this dialog popup:

certificate error popup.png

Which is hideous.  It looks like it's also missing some network information where the %1 is.  My users are more likely to assume this is a general error rather than just a general warning.

I've contacted Symantec technical support and they claim that this is caused by SEP's network threat protection.  The reason they cannot implement an error within metro UI is due to limitation put in place by Microsoft.

Has anyone else ran into this?  Are there any workarounds or is perhaps an actual resolution?

• 2.  RE: Windows 8/8.1 and SEP 12.1.4 Wifi Certificate errors deprecated dialog box vs Metro

Posted May 13, 2014 04:36 PM

Isn't there a way to just auto connect?

• 3.  RE: Windows 8/8.1 and SEP 12.1.4 Wifi Certificate errors deprecated dialog box vs Metro

Posted May 13, 2014 04:40 PM

Yeah.  And you're right.  This error only pops up on initial connect - so long as login info is saved.  Thereafter, the network autoconnects and no cert error is ever seen.

However, rolling out computers to 200+ students with this warning is unattractive.  The metro warning is much less jarring and I'd prefer to have my students see that.

I realize this is nit-picky... but why would not breaking out of the Metro UI be too much to ask when connecting to wifi?

• 4.  RE: Windows 8/8.1 and SEP 12.1.4 Wifi Certificate errors deprecated dialog box vs Metro

Posted May 13, 2014 04:51 PM

Not really sure but it sounds like some coding work will need to be done get around what ever the "limitation" is.