Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Windows Backup Server 2008 R2 problem with SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1

Created: 08 Nov 2012 • Updated: 28 Nov 2012 | 13 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

I still have a problem during a systemstatebackup between Windows server Backup 2008 R2 and SEP 12.

All exclusions noticed here ( http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag... ) have been applied in the registry.

All oldest backup versions have been deleted, an exclusion of D:\WindowsImageBackup folder has been added in the SEP management console and the process wbadmin.exe ( process of windows backup server ) has been excluded also.

I still have this error log :

• Event ID 517: "The backup operation that started at <time>' has failed with following error code '2155347997' (%2155347997155347997).
    Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved."
  • "Error in deletion of [<Volume>\System Volume Information\EfaData\SYMEFA.DB] while pruning the target VHD: Error [0x80070020] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

I must delete the last backup folder in Windows Image backup if I want to have a new successfully backup of my system state. After that, when I schedule new backup during the day, that works. But the scheduled backup during the night always failed. I repeat these actions every day.....

Could you give me a solution please ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Yoan.

Comments 13 CommentsJump to latest comment

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

I have reviewed SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 fix notes & issue is resolved in MP1 release.

However in your case if issue is still occuring with MP1 then please call the support and update them with required info.

Windows Backup Server failure after SEP 12.1 is installed
Fix ID: 2652280
Symptom: Windows Backup Server is configured to back up the "System State". When the backup needs to prune the destination drive the operation will fail with an access violation error. The Windows Backup logs may contain the following message:
“Error in deletion of [C:\System Volume Information\EfaData\] while pruning the target VHD: Error [0x80070020] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.”
Solution: The client was modified to exclude the EfaData folder. This exclusion only takes effect for new backups. Existing backups must be manually removed before the next backup will succeed.

Chetan Savade
Sr Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

yoan692002's picture

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

A Symantec expert adviced me to install the new version of SEP. The 12.1 RU2 version.

I test and keep you informed.

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

It's correct & you should test with latest SEP version i.e. SEP 12.1 RU2.

I reviewed RU2 fix notes & it's listed there

Windows Backup Server fails to back up after the installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1
Fix ID: 2745055
Symptom: Windows Backup Server fails to back up after the installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.
Solution: Changed the process for detecting delete operations by Windows Backup Server on Symantec Endpoint Protection data files.

Reference: New fixes and enhancements in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 Release Update 2

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH199676

Chetan Savade

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

yoan692002's picture

I've just installed this new version and SEP asks me to reboot the server...

If I don't reboot it today, a forced reboot will be done this night at 3:00 am CET... There is a "option" to avoid this reboot ?

thanks again.

Yoan.

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

When you create a package through SEPM you have an options to schedule reboot.

You exported package from the SEPM console?

Chetan Savade

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

By what time you want to reboot the server?

Till that time you can stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection service however it's not recommended due to Security.

Chetan Savade

yoan692002's picture

That's we test here. (The new version of SEP to solve my backup problem since the installation of SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1.)

yoan692002's picture

Hi,

The backup was successfully this night at 3:00 am with this new version of SEP.

But, yesterday, I deleted all existing backup as recommended by Symantec.

So, We will see Monday, if all backups during this weekend will be OK.

Keep you informed.

Regards.

Yoan.

yoan692002's picture

With the new version of SEP ( 12.1.2 ), all work properly. :-)

Thanks for your support.

Yoan.

SOLUTION
Chetan Savade's picture

Hi Yoan,

Thanks for the update.

If issue is resolved don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you

Chetan Savade

ragenkagen's picture

Glad to see this.  We had a case open with 12.1 RU 1 MP 1.  We just upgraded our SEPMs, but have not had a chance to upgrade the clients encountering the issue as they are servers (actually DCs) that need to have maintenance scheduled.  This is definitely encouraging though!