Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Windows Errors on reboot - Extend WG Protocol Driver, also Event 2510 on Server service

Created: 30 Dec 2008 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 11 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have Windows Server 2003 systems with SEP MR4 installed – only antivirus/antispyware, no other components.  On at least two of these servers, upon reboot, I get the following errors:  

Event ID: 2510, Source: Server – “The server service was unable to map error code 998”

I get about 5 of these in the first couple minutes. 

Event ID: 7000, Source: Service Control Manager - “The Extend WG Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.”

A search of web shows that other users with SEP are getting these errors, but there aren't any solutions.  These issues have been out for the better part of a year, too.

If reverting back to SAVCE wouldn’t cause a major upset in my life, I’d probably do it.  SEP has been the worst IT upgrade I’ve ever been involved with.  And I am NOT a Symantec basher - I’ve been using Symantec products for over a decade.  I just can’t believe how many problems this system has that are still not fixed.  OK, rant over.  How about some solutions.  Symantec?  Anyone?     

Message Edited by David Fosbenner on 12-30-2008 04:16 PM
Message Edited by David Fosbenner on 12-30-2008 04:17 PM

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

tramp21's picture

Hi,

you have to copy manually the wgx.sy driver from the SEP program dir to

\windows\system32\drivers.

This is a bug of the SEP installation as the WGX service searches this driver there :-(

Message Edited by tramp21 on 12-31-2008 07:33 AM
dfosbenner's picture

Tramp,

I have a WGX.SYS file in my System32\Drivers folder.  Is this the file you're referring to?  It's already there, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

smiddleton's picture

I can't find any more info out on this issue.  I have the latest & greates SEP 11.0.4010.19 MR4 MP1 and I'm still getting this error.  I have the WGX.sys in both the SEP folder & the System32\Drivers folder.  Why won't someone from Symantec address this problem??  I would like to take the entry out of the server registry, but I don't have a test environment to try it out on.

Server = Windows Server 2003 (fully patched & updated)

Anyone??

orgnalwood's picture
Straight from Symantec:

"Here is the information to remove the WGX driver; I'm not sure how that driver has been enabled in these systems, but it is only installed after the snac.xml (which is not in the directory any more) is dropped into the licenses directory or the full SNAC product installation. It is possibly just left over and hasn't produced errors until recently.

Since the XML does not exist on any SEPM, we don't need to do anything on the SEPM side. On the client side, the SNAC service should be stopped (manual startup) and SNAC should not appear in the SEP GUI.

1. Open Device Manager
2. Click View > Show hidden devices
3. Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers and disable the Extend WG Protocol Driver

Thank you,

<name withheld>"

I went one step further, because I'm greatly annoyed at the fact that the above "solution" doesn't stop the System Event Logs from being spammed with the "The Extend WG Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified." error:

1. Open Device Manager
3. Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers and uninstall the Extend WG Protocol Driver
4. Open a command prompt, and run sc delete “wgx”
5. Reboot the system.

SOLUTION
GazzaN's picture

I came across this forum when trying to check on the same problem. After a bit of investigation I tried placing the full path to the WGX.sys file in to the registry i.e. I added "C:\Windows" prefix to the system32......  entry on the line. The event logs came back clear on the reboot. It would be nice if Symantec fixed their installer for this one!

dfosbenner's picture

orgnalwood, thank you SO SO MUCH!  I started this thread 10 months ago, and what a pain in the @@ it's been dealing with this issue all this time.  Unfortunately I never saw your post until now, some 7 months after you posted it.  This board's notification system is pretty hit and miss, I just happened to check back.

I just made the change on a few servers and IT WORKS!  Now I have to change the rest of them.

THANKS AGAIN!

jeff smith 1945's picture

Hi

I've got 500 computers that have the problem. Reading this, am I to believe that I have to visit all the computers to correct this issue. Is there a script that can help here?

Jeff

Vikram Kumar-SAV to SEP's picture

sc delete “wgx"
is the command to delete the WGX service. You can create a logon script to delete that.

Vikram Kumar

Symantec Consultant

The most helpful part of entire Symantec connect is the Search button..do use it.

Joji's picture

I followed orgnalwood's steps (accepted solution). After a successful reboot I am still getting the error message.
I tried sc delete wgx and got this message:
[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:
The specified service does not existas an installed service.

Any more ideas how to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

Jan Willem Gresnigt's picture

This worked for me.

1. Open Device Manager
3. Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers and uninstall the Extend WG Protocol Driver
4. open regedit
5. delete the key "WGX" in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
6. reboot system

durkinr's picture

Jan, thanks for the fix.

Interesting that this issue still exists with version 11.0.5002.333, the installer did not clean it up.

Any smart scripters out there now how to uninstall a device using WMI?

-Rob