Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Windows is not genuine on computers running Virtual Internet Explorer 6

Created: 01 Apr 2013 | 3 comments
cwitter's picture

Good afternoon all,

  I wanted to run this past the community and see if anyone else has ever experienced this issue: we have Windows 7 x64 with SP1 running the Virtual Version of Internet Explorer 6. On some of these pc's we are getting an error that says that Windows is not genuine. It does not seem to happen on all machines, but is consistently only happening on one's with this layer. Anyone had any experience with this?

thanks in advance,

Craig

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

EdT's picture

How are your machines licensed?  Do you have a KMS server, or use a volume MAK key, or just have individually licensed retail machines?  

As I understand it, windows is checked to see if it is genuine before any updates are applied, so this check is quite regular. I suspect that if your virtualised IE6 is being treated as the default browser, then it is being used to handle the genuine check, and maybe that is what you are seeing.

You note that only some machines are affected, so how do they differ to the others? Look at the method of licensing for each affected machine, and whether browser defaults are different, or whether automatic updates are set differently.  A check of the event logs may also be instructive.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

cwitter's picture

I did some more digging yesterday and actually narrowed it down to a dll in the layer, msxml4.dll. If I delete this file from the layer and reactivate the layer the issue goes away (I've actually been able to check the genuine status with the MS tool vs having to wait for it to popup). It appears that the dll from Windows 7 has a modified date of 2009 on it and the web site we're using that requires virtual IE6 is trying to push down a different version of the same dll (with a date on it from 2003).  I've tried including the 2009 version of the dll with the layer to no avail. It just pops up and asks me to install the ActiveX the first time Virtual IE is launched.

To answer your question, we're using a KMS server.  I'm not so sure it's a Windows update check, the box that I was looking at seems to be up to date on patches. I've also narrowed it down to machines that seem to have MSXML 4 installed in the base OS and ones that don't not having the issue.

thanks,

Craig

EdT's picture

It looks like the IE6 release needs the older version of MSXML.

Perhaps the solution is to capture the installation of the old version of MSXML4 into an XP platform's layer, and then ensure that your IE6 layer has the same registry details included so that they are used in preference to the ones in the base operating system.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.