Video Screencast Help

Windows Server 2012 as a deduplication target for NetBackup 7.6?

Created: 23 Dec 2013 | 2 comments

Now that NetBackup 7.6 is GA, I have a question and maybe someone has trialled or implemented under the FA.

Windows Server 2012 is now supported as a media server under NetBackup 7.6. Can you harness the deduplication capabilities of the OS on a NetBackup Basic Disk target for storing backup images?

So if I have a Windows Server 2012 OS with 7.6 installed and running as a Media Server with a large disk volume that has dedupe turned on.

Will NetBackup 7.6 allow this?

As previously discussed here...16 months ago

Operating Systems:

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

Nicolai's picture

While it might work I think the performance is not good enough:

From : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831700.aspx

The deduplication feature can process roughly 2 TB of data per volume in a 24-hour period (100 GB per hour) when running a throughput optimization job on a single volume.

There might also be support issues with the file system type as well. e.g. ReFS has limited support in 7.6GA

Regards

Nicolai

Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

If this post answered your'e qustion -  Please mark as a soloution.

Mark_Solutions's picture

I have my doubts that it would be supported - read through all of the NBU 7.6 docs and cannot see it mentioned anywhere as a storage unit target which usually means that it is not supported

Interesting from Nicolai about its throughout too yes

Authorised Symantec Consultant . Expert Partner.

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.