Video Screencast Help

Windows Server Core 2008 Web ISO

Created: 30 Jan 2012 • Updated: 30 Jan 2012 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I just want to confirm that my Windows 2008 R2 DVD will have all the necessary files for the installation.  I have never used a Core edition of Windows Server before.  Are the server discs like the Win7 discs, where all the versions are there and your license unlocks them appropriately?

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

rscovel's picture

Greetings,

On the DVDs I have used, Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise, Standard, Data Center, and Web Core are all present.

When you are doing a manual install you tell the installer what version you want to install, and then it is done.

We use a scripted install so you are not given a choice. You simply insert the DVD and our installer uses the files required to install the Web Core version.

Remember that you need a non SP1 version, as the installer does not support the SP1 version of Windows 2008 R2.

You are ususally given two keys if you have Volume/Enterprise licensing. One key activates the Data Center software, and the other activates Enterprise, Standard and the Web Core installation.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Note: If you obtained your SPC 2 ISO previous to the 2.1 release you may want to download the 2.1 ISO from file connect rather than use the old SPC 2 installer.

Best Regards.

Russ Scovel
Inside Systems Engineer

Altiris SOS – Endpoint Management and Mobility
Symantec Corporation 
www.symantec.com

SOLUTION
Rokem's picture

Thank you.  That answered my question perfectly.  I believe we have downloaded 2.1 already, but I will confirm that.

Jain Azeez's picture

Could you please let me know the exact version of the ISO image of Windows 2008 R2 DVD that you used?

Jain Azeez's picture

SPC setup is not accepting the Webserver 2008 DVD.Tried using 3 - 5 DVDs and checked the optical drive also.

Is there a particular version of iso of Windows Server 2008 R2 DVD for installing with SPC ?

rscovel's picture

Greetings,

Currently only the English version of Windows 2008 R2 Web Core NON SP1 DVD is supported.

Any other version will receive an error prompting you to insert the correct DVD.

I have used ISOs with these names successfully:

SW_DVD5_Windows_Svr_DC_EE_SE_Web_2008R2_64-bit_English_X15-59754

en_windows_server_2008_r2_standard_enterprise_datacenter_and_web_x64_dvd_x15-59754

Regards

Russ Scovel
Inside Systems Engineer

Altiris SOS – Endpoint Management and Mobility
Symantec Corporation 
www.symantec.com