Video Screencast Help

Windows user id credentials on W2008 Master server

Created: 21 Aug 2012 | 5 comments
Willie_SA's picture

What are the user id / services id credentials/rights on a W2008 Master server?

I installed as Administrator and did customization.

Then they removed/renamed/altered the Administrator user to another name. We now logon by employee's user id to Master server.

Are there best practice guidelines regarding user id's to Master server?

As I am experiencing services not starting and Admin Console just hanging/not working it might be a user id/permissions issue.

Therefore I want to know what the credencials of users on or to master server should be(or where i can find documentation regarding this). Then I can have it created accordingly.

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Mark_Solutions's picture

A Master Server just needs all service set to Local System, nothing more.

However, when logging in and using the Admin Console / Starting or Stopping services etc. then if you have UAC enabled you must right click and "Run as Administrator" to do anything (open console, run command etc, etc)

Hope this helps

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

Marianne's picture

The backup users need Local Admin rights on Windows servers.

If this is not acceptable to the customer, you/they need to look at NBAC...
Even with NBAC, at least one user name will need full admin rights.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

Willie_SA's picture

I found that when the server is placed on/in the Domain the Administrator user id is changed as part of the clients' procedure.

I have now decided to uninstall all of NetBackup and begin a fresh NBU install using the 'new' Admin id.

After I get everything up and going I will do the NBAC as per the good video piosted by Speedfreak.

But that will happen  NEXT week.

Will keep you all posted.