Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Windows WSUS & SEPM V12.1.3, Will work on the same server.

Posted Jul 02, 2013 06:15 AM

Hi Everybody,

I do have an environment were Active Directory (AD) and symantec Enpoint manger console V11.1.6 installed on the one physical machine, one more server has been developed by Virtual PC application on the same server were SEPM and AD got installed. on the virtual machine WSUS application has been installed and working fine.

My question is can, all the three application can reside on the one physical server.

We are in progress of migrating of SEPM version from V11 - V12.

Hope V12 will not work with IIS support, So the known issue with WSUS & SEPM V11 & older will over come in SEPM V12 or the problem will persist.

Thanks & Regards.

MRF FMS-HO

• 2.  RE: Windows WSUS & SEPM V12.1.3, Will work on the same server.

Posted Jul 02, 2013 06:17 AM

The answer is YES.

SEP 11.X uses IIS.it will be issue when both are installed on same port in WSUS. 12.1 no more uses IIS so you wont face any issues.

• 3.  RE: Windows WSUS & SEPM V12.1.3, Will work on the same server.

Posted Jul 02, 2013 06:30 AM

Hi, 

WSUS using IIS service and SEP 12.1 is using apache, the only thing you can not use the same port .

Default port of SEPM 8014 is also customizable.

Regards

Ajin

• 4.  RE: Windows WSUS & SEPM V12.1.3, Will work on the same server.

Posted Jul 02, 2013 06:31 AM

SEPM 12.1 (all versions) do not use IIS anymore but Apache Tomcat - so you should not see any issue about both SEPM and WSUS accessing the same.

Depeding on the hardware and your network capabilities putting both WSUS and SEPM on same physical server may become somewhat hard on resources - especially when it comes to definitions distribution on SEPM side and WSUS updates distribution on the other. Both features may become quite resource intensive. Further of consideration would be if you plan to use external SQL Server Database for SEPM and local disk size considerations for both SEPM (amount of stored update - will be in GB size) and WSUS.

• 5.  RE: Windows WSUS & SEPM V12.1.3, Will work on the same server.

Posted Jul 02, 2013 06:52 AM

Thanks to all, We do have decent network and hardware configuration, I hope it will withstand the resource issue. I will update the future updates after implementing the same.

@ SabestianZ Special thanks for your information.

Regards

MRF FMS-HO

• 6.  RE: Windows WSUS & SEPM V12.1.3, Will work on the same server.

Posted Jul 02, 2013 07:52 AM

Glad I could help:D

• 7.  RE: Windows WSUS & SEPM V12.1.3, Will work on the same server.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 02, 2013 08:29 AM

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

I believe you have recieved the answer however I would like to share the following articles with you.

Best Practices for Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) on Windows Servers

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH92440

Top 10 Symantec Best Practices - Deploying Symantec Endpoint Protection Architecture

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH92051