Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Windows XP SP3 hang after installing SEP 12.1.3

Created: 11 Jul 2013 | 11 comments

We have quite a lot of desktops with Windows XP SP3 installed freeze (still can move the mouse cursor but no response on any program) a few times a day. After troubleshooting for a few days, we conclude that it's the SEP clients that we have upgraded recently to version 12.1.3 that causes this incident.

To verify if it is the SEP 12.1.3 that causes the freeze, we downgrade some desktops to SEP 11.x and the desktops are back to normal functionality. Those desktops with Windows 7 installed do not experience this. 

I have try to disable Network Theat Protection for 2 desktops and monitor for few days to see if it is the cause.

Anyone has any clue? 

Operating Systems:

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

Were you able to look at the system with something like Process Explorer to see exactly what was causing the hang? Is it just slowness or a total freeze?

Have you tried with only the AV component to see what the result is?

What components do you have installed? The full protection suite?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

pete_4u2002's picture

application dump should help to know the reason,

installing only AV resolves the issue?

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

I have Windows XP SP 3 and Windows 7 machine with 2 - 4 GB RAM and they all work like a charm.

Are these client machines, also performing some other specific jobs?

How much RAM are these client machines installed with?

Which process is using the highest CPU usage and memory?

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

As mentioned issue is occurring after an upgrade from 11.x to 12.1 RU3.

Can you test with fresh install of SEP 12.1 RU3?

With this test we can conclude issue is occurring only after an upgrade or even with fresh install.

As everyone said try with only AV component and check. In your case you will have to create a custom package only with AV feature.

Try to check which process is consuming memory/CPU usage. Check the event viewer also.

Chetan Savade
Sr.Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

tenetadmin's picture

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions guys. 

All the desktops are either 2GB or 4GB RAM. We have include all of the 3 components in SEP. To eliminate the prossibility, we did a test on 2 machines without Network Threat Protection, but it still does not help. 

The users here run Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Words and 1 or 2 inhouse applications which do not utilise much resources and it worked perfectly before the SEP upgrade. 

This issue has heavily affected our daily operation and we have to uninstall the SEP 12.1.3 and install back SEP 11.x

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Issue is occurring with the latest SEP version so I would suggest to log a case with Support. You have downgraded the client version and not facing any issue. Let support know this and they can come up with possible solution.

How to create a new case in MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58873

Chetan Savade
Sr.Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

.Brian's picture

In advance you will likely need to download the SymHelp tool and enable some logging for support.

Symantec Help (SymHelp) Download

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH170752

Keep this thread updated if you can. I'm curious as to the outcome. I'm also running some XP machines but only a few have RU3 as I'm still monitoring/testing this latest release.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Hello,

Examine the Sizing and Scalability Guidelines for SEP 12.1 and adjust the heartbeat schedule and randomization schedule. Ensure the communication mode is set to Pull.

Ensure that the latest version of SEP 12.1 is in palce.  CPU-related issues have been corrected since earlier releases of 12.1.

Check these Articles:

Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Sizing and Scalability recommendations

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH123242

Symantec Endpoint Protection client shows high CPU usage immediately after virus definition updates.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH170756

If the above articles does not assist, I would suggest you to create a case with with Symantec Technical Support Team.

How to create a new case in MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58873

Phone numbers to contact Tech Support:-

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:

• United States: 800-342-0652 (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
  • Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
  • United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000

Additional contact numbers: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

tenetadmin's picture

Thanks guys. I'll log a case next week and keep this thread updated.

SameerU's picture

Hi

I am also facing the same problem and the case has logged for the same.

The case has been logged and its almost and month and we have not received any solution

Regards

Hello Sameer,

I would appreciate if you could please PM me your case #.

Let me check into the same.

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant