Deployment and Imaging Group

View Only
  • 1.  WinPE 4.0 Lenovo T440P driver

Posted Jun 03, 2014 04:23 PM

I'm unable to deploy an image on Lenovo T440P. Here is the rundown:

Deployment Server 6.9 SP6 (WinPE 4.0)

I've tried Windows 8 drivers from Intel site, Lenovo site, even Dell/HP sites

Network card is: Intel I217-LM

I boot to WinPE environment from a USB, and can get into the environment, but receive the error:

Restarting DHCP client service: retry 1

It goes up to 20 tries then says cannot find IP address.

I've tried turning off AMT. I don't have issues deploying to any other machine. I've googled the issue (which seems pretty common with the Intel I217-LM), but none of the tips have led me to success at this point.

Thanks!

Steven B.

• 2.  RE: WinPE 4.0 Lenovo T440P driver

Posted Jun 04, 2014 08:48 AM

We had this problem also with the Lenovo T540p and M73 Tiny. We had to add the driver to Setting, Deployment, Driver Management, then Click the Preboot tab. Add the driver and rebuild your boot environment. You'll have to wait until the \\NSServer\Deployment\Task Handler\bootwiz\Platforms\WinPE\x86\Drivers\CUSTOM\Drivers drivers replicate to your site servers (or manually copy them) before you rebuild your boot environment. We also had to manually copy another file, but I think that was fixed.

• 3.  RE: WinPE 4.0 Lenovo T440P driver

Posted Jun 04, 2014 11:10 AM
    You might want to add storage and chipset drivers to winpe, which i have seen with several lenovo and HP clients to be a must have.

• 4.  RE: WinPE 4.0 Lenovo T440P driver

Posted Jun 04, 2014 03:03 PM

Thanks for the help from you both. We don't use the CMS console to add drivers. We also don't push it to any package/site servers. We use a deployment server only, and boot to USB or CD with WinPE 4.0 on the client machines and push images directly from the Deployment Server.

So basically, I'm adding the driver by opening Deployment Console on the Deployment server -- click tools -- boot disk creator -- Select the WinPE configuration -- right click on the configuration and select edit configuration

On the second step of this process I can add Windows PE Hardware Device Drivers, which is where I've uploaded several to try out. Then, I create a new boot image .iso file that I put on USB. We haven't updated to Deployment 7.x, but we run ITMS 7.1 SP2.

I've tried adding the storage drivers the same way, with no luck. However, there are a TON of chipset drivers to choose from, so haven't decided how to tackle adding them quite yet.

• 5.  RE: WinPE 4.0 Lenovo T440P driver

Posted Jun 04, 2014 04:23 PM

I struggled with the I218-LM driver for an HP Laptop we were evaluating.  Although this was a few months ago I still remember the pain.  I had upgraded to DS6.9 SP6, installed WINPE 64bit and tried the Win8 drivers since the Vista drivers were not available.  I ran into the same issue your having where it did not pick up an IP and kept retrying.  Went through the same drill of looking elswhere for the Win8 drivers and installing into the boot disk creator.

Ended up reinstalling WinPE and unchecking the x64 option and installed as x86 version only.  Then used the x86 driver off the HP site and it started working. The specific driver shows both I217-LM and I218-LM driver and I used the e1d6232.inf.  

Hope this helps 

• 6.  RE: WinPE 4.0 Lenovo T440P driver

Posted Jun 16, 2014 08:45 AM

I usually update WinPE myself and not thru the boot disk creator. By jut using either DISM to mount, inject and commit / unmount the WIM image again, it works persistently with no issues. About drivers, you should also be able to use Win7 drivers where you don't have Win8.x drivers (all available from either HP or Lenovo) and when extracting the drivers from the EXE packs, check out the subfolders as sometimes you will find subfolders like x64_winpe etc. where different drivers to be used for WinPE are located...

-BBC

• 7.  RE: WinPE 4.0 Lenovo T440P driver

Posted Jun 16, 2014 10:33 AM

I had the same issue with a lenovo desktop model. Eventually had to use X64 WinPE enviroment and got the driver to work. Wouldn't work with x86 for some reason.