Video Screencast Help

Wise Installation System 9.02 how to add directx installer?

Created: 23 Sep 2012 | 25 comments

How to add the directx installer for wise installation system?

Screen:

BIG THANKS FOR HELP !

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 25 CommentsJump to latest comment

piyushnasa's picture

Is it not installing it for you when you check the box?

You can also try and download it from internet and then install it.

Piyush Nasa Altiris Certified Professional (ACP)

http://msiworld.blogspot.com/

EdT's picture

This looks like a case of not having the Wisescript runtimes installed. However, these are no longer available to download as the original Wisescript standalone product stopped shipping over 12 years ago.

Also, DirectX 9B is truly ancient and it would be technically irresponsible to use this version. If I recall correctly, the latest available for download is the June 2011 DirectX 9C release. Running the downloaded EXE with /? will reveal the command line switches available (as with most Microsoft EXE installers), and you can then run this from your Wisescript using the "Execute Program" command with the Wait option ticked.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

BloodManXD's picture

Thanks, but i would rather with change option ( install directX or no )

EdT's picture

If you want a user-selectable option to install DirectX (or not) then you will need to create your own dialog using the Wisescript dialog editor.

Just bear in mind that Wisescript is a 32 bit process and therefore cannot handle any 64 bit installs. This may not be an issue for XP users, but Windows 7 machines are predominantly 64 bit these days.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

BloodManXD's picture

I can create a window but could I explain to someone exactly how to do it? ( sorry for my english but i'm from polish :D )

EdT's picture

There are many sample scripts in the Wisescript installation folders, and there is also a substantial library of Wisescripts on the Dragonsoft website (google on "dragonsoft wisescript library") which will help you to find a solution.

EdT's picture

Sorry, I have no installation of 9.02 to work with, so you will have to develop the scripts using the examples in the installation folder and on the Dragonsoft website.

BloodManXD's picture

ok I think I know how to create installer directx but how to do such a thing to copy a folder from a partition d to a temp folder and later reconstructed teeth installer file from the temp folder? I tried to copy local files but is confused;/ could someone write such a script?

( polish: ok chyba wiem jak stworzyć instalator directx ale jak zrobić takie coś żeby skopiować folder z partycji d do folderu temp a pozniej zeby instalator odtworzyl plik z folderu temp? próbowałem z copy local files ale się pogubiłem ;/ mógłby ktoś napisać taki skrypt? )

EdT's picture

The usual steps for handling a pre-requisite such as DirectX in a wisescript is to add the DirectX installer to the Wisescript as a file to be installed. So assume the file is called DirectX.exe.

You add this file to your project to be installed into %TEMP%

After this line in the project, you add an "Execute Program" command, where the executable is defined as %TEMP%\DirectX.exe, and the argument is defined as the command line switches your executable needs in order to perform a SILENT install. (With Microsoft installs, running the EXE with a /? switch will normally display the installation switch options).  

Also on the Execute Program command, make sure you tick the "Wait" box so that the main install waits until the DirectX installer completes before continuing.

Then, at the end of your install script, add a delete file command to remove the DirectX.exe file from the %TEMP% folder, to clean up.

BloodManXD's picture

I have 1 question how to add window "reboot the system"?

screen:

EdT's picture

Wisescript has an automatic function which will request a user reboot IF changes to existing files require a reboot. However, if you perform a third party install, Wisescript has no way of knowing if a reboot is required, so if you want to include your own dialog, just use a "Display Message" command at the end of your installation.

The RESTART variable controls reboot action - see the documentation for more information.  If you 

Set Variable RESTART =     (ie leave the value blank, or null), then any pending reboots are not actioned at the end of the install. This is the opposite of what you are asking here, but another setting where you set the RESTART variable to W, will force a reboot if the installing user is an administrator.

Consequently, if you wish you can just set this variable to W at the end of your install and it will trigger a reboot regardless of any user input. If you want to give the user a choice, then you can build a dialog with push button options using the dialog editor in Wisescript, and either terminate the install with no action if the user chooses not to reboot at that time, or force a reboot if the user requests one, by setting the RESTART variable, or by running Shutdown.exe which is already present in the standard windows installation.  So executing %SYS32%\shutdown.exe with the command line options -f -r -t 0 will force a reboot with no delay and force close any running applications as well.

BloodManXD's picture

how to do something like that when I cross the window that the script will be executed, and as there is no check mark? ( jak zrobić takie coś że jak dam krzyżyk przy takim okienku to skrypt będzie wykonywany a jak nie zaznacze to nie? )

screen:

EdT's picture

When you define a checkbox, you associate a variable with the checkbox, so that the variable is set to 0 when there is no tick and set to 1 when there is a tick. If you preset the variable to 1, then the checkbox should be displayed with a tick in it.

BloodManXD's picture

but my point here is how to do it as a cross check mark when you install the script will be executed later and as there is no check mark?

pl: ale mi chodzi oto jak zrobić że jak podczas instalacji zaznacze krzyżyk to skrypt później będzie wykonywany a jak nie zaznacze to nie?

EdT's picture

If the value of the variable that represents the checkbox state is preset to 1 before the checkbox is displayed, then it should be checked by default.

However, I am assuming that you are referring to a checkbox generated by the Wisescript code, and not by the DirectX installer - is this the case?

piyushnasa's picture

The check mark should come. If it is not coming then there is an issue.

Piyush Nasa Altiris Certified Professional (ACP)

http://msiworld.blogspot.com/

BloodManXD's picture

I created a script but he wants it to be executed only if the check box installation

EdT's picture

Put the Execute Program command inside an "IF" loop which tests the setting of the checkbox

BloodManXD's picture

Thank you slowly begin to understand what and how, but if you could do me a script where I can build?

EdT's picture

I don't have WIS 9 installed on any of my systems. I will see whether I can write something in tomorrow.

EdT's picture

Attached is a script which uses a tickbox to select one of two different code segments. For simplicity, each code segment just displays the status of the checkbox, either ticked or not ticked.

AttachmentSize
Checkbox.zip 143.15 KB

BloodManXD's picture

BACK AFTER ATTEMPTS WITH YOU, I managed to create this SCRIPT AS I DO NOT KNOW HOW HAVE I thank!!!

EdT's picture

Not sure I understand what you are saying, but I'm guessing you have found a solution!