Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

An XP machine using pcAnywhere 12.5.5 - unable to close the open host

Created: 31 Dec 2012 | 10 comments

I have an xp machine using pcanywhere 12.5.5 and I am unable to close the open host.  The option to do that is grayed out.  Please advise.  I have used pcanywhere for some time and have never seen this grayed out before.

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

Ashish Nathavani's picture

Hello DrDaveCF,

Could you please check host properties's settings tab? There is one check box, "Run as a service". This option should be checked to enable "Cancel host" option in host tray menu.

Please refer to attachment PCA_Host_Settings.JPG.

Thank you!

PCA_Host_Settings.JPG
DrDaveCF's picture

I have always run my hosts with the check at "launch with windows" which makes by default a grayed check at "run as a service".  Something has changed as a result of this latest update

ICHCB's picture

What build number are you on?   There was a defect in 12.5.5 1086 with not being able to restart hosts.  If you run live update you should end up at 12.5.5 1206 to resolve this.

Here is the link to the readme to the 1206 update to read more about it.   There is also a direct link to use if you would rather download te 1206 update rather than use live update.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH198989

Cheers

If you find this post helpful please give it a thumbs up!
If you find that this solves your problem please mark it as the solution! 

DrDaveCF's picture

That is when this problem first occurred is when 1206 was installed.

ICHCB's picture

Interesting.   I was doing some testing for another issue and was able to get this behavior.  It seems that after rebooting with a host set to launch with windows then the option to cancel the running host is grayed out in my xp sp3 system also.   

DrDaveCF's picture

Sounds like a bad glitch in the new update.  Not being able to close down the host is not good.

ICHCB's picture

I was able to stop the service but the GUI is a lot more convienient.  

DrDaveCF's picture

Potentially dangerous situation for those of us with a host open much of the time.

DrDaveCF's picture

How did  you stop the service?  I am guessing you did it with task manager but what is the name of the host process?

ICHCB's picture

I was in the services console (sorry if that isn't the right name)
Scrolled down to the Symantec pcAnywhere Host Service
Right Click and select stop service

You could also create a batch file that contains the following:

net stop "Symantec pcAnywhere Host Service"