This is my first article on symantec connect. Many people know how to backup data, file but when their server goes down they don't know how to restore the database, and email at that time. I think we need to study further on the restore solution.
This article is to describe about redirecting and restoring SQL Database to another machine or another instance.
Note: Symantec Backup exec 12.5 SP3 and destination server needed to install Agent.
Step 1 : Open Restore Job and go to Source -> Selections then select your file that want to restore. Example select on DBSallc SQL Database.
Step 2 : Go to Source -> Device then select Device and choose your device name.
Step 3 : Go to Destination -> Microsoft SQL Redirection. this step you need to insert some field that is important when restore.
Redirect Microsoft SQL Server sets for enable redirect restore.
- Destination -> Server this field you need to input destination hostname. in Example is SQLDB1 (Servername)
- Destination -> Server -> Instance this field you have to input destination instance name (If you leave it, it will input default instance on that destination server)
- Destination -> Server -> Instance -> Database this file is not require. the name of database should not duplicate database name on destination server.
- Use alternate drive this field you can select drive that want to be restore.
- only when original drive does not exist that mean it will restore to alternate drive when original drive does not exitst. if it exist, it will not restore to alternate drive.
- even when original drive does exist that mean it will restore to alternate drive that you selected in any case.
- Use destination instance's default data directory that mean it will restore to instance default data directory. Example if that instance DB path you backup keep on C:\Database it will restore to C:\Database on destination server also.
- Use this path you can specify path that will redirect restore on destination server.
Tip : In my experience, I always select Use alternate drive because of it is easy to manage. you don't need to set many thing. the important is you just need to restore SQL Database to destination server first then you can move it to anywhere.
and you can test this config by click check selections
Step 4 : This menu I leave it default. and then click restore. you will got database that you backup on new destination server.
Hope you will successful about restoring SQL Database to another server.