Automatic Pre-upgrade checker
It would be great to have a pre-upgrade checker. Items that it could check and ran all in one place BEFORE the upgrade:
This tool would :
- Check the current version of NBU and OS and and compare to the NBU version the user is upgrading to
- confrim if it is supported
- Include known issues or tips : ex : If upgrading from 6.x , maybe return an additional tip to be at 6.5.6 before upgrading to 7.x
- prompt customer what OS patches are needed before the upgrade
- Automaticlly run a consistency check of the NetBackup EMM and BMR databases
nbdb_admin <databasename> -validate -full
- Check for available disk space and give an estimation on what is needed compared to what is currently in place. An added bounous would be an estmatied time for the upgrade to be compelted.
- Confirm there is a recent successful hot catalog backup.
- Automaticlly run NBCC - I know this will probably have to be handled separately since the user has to create a a case for the output to be reviewed, however maybe include links to the latest version , and tell them to use the -upgrade switch. Maybe the nbcc -upgrade and the NBCCA could be integrated somehow.
At the end of the checker, report what failed and what needs to be corrected BEFORE the upgrade. You can include some helpful tech notes and let the user know what type of information they should gather before opening a ticket with support.
Other helpful tech notes to include is the SORT tool and The latest patchset version.
- run bpdbm -consistency to correct bad image headers before the upgrade.
- Make a copy or give the option to make a copy of the following files to a differnt location, in case of failure (just in case the rollback does not compelete sucessful )
- contents of <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackupDB
- The following three files:
- For Windows : Export the registry