Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Bug: HTML message body treated as attachment in SMSMSE

Created: 14 Jan 2013 | 1 comment
hausmann's picture
0 Agree
0 Disagree
0 0 Votes
Login to vote

We are using Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (just updated to v. 6.5.8.285) with MS Exchange Server 2007, and have seen spurious error messages ever since we switched from Postini to Mimecast for spam filtering.  The crux of the matter is that Mimecast's e-mail notifications about "held" mail (potential spam) are created & sent in HTML-only MIME format (no attachment, not multi-part), but your software sends out spurious warnings about attachments that violate defined Content Enforcement rules for attachment names.  The match list for the attachment filenames includes "*.COM" , and the Subject: line of each of these messages always ends in ".com".  Your release notes for version 7 of the software lead me to believe that it will be no better, as there is a documented problem with Subject: lines being parsed when they should not be.

Please fix!  Thanks -Stuart (201)767-0255 x132

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

groberts's picture
Hi Stuart,
 
From your description, it sounds like you might be using a journaling agent on Exchange, which can cause exactly the behavior you describe. This is because the Journaling agent actually splits off a seperate message with the Subject line of the original message as the attachment name, and the attachment content as the original message content. For the purposes of our content filtering, we're actually doing exactly what it was configured to do. However, because this has caused confusion and frustration, we've added a configurable option to allow you to ignore journaled messages for the purposes of content filtering. Take a look at http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH174017.
 
 
 
Hopefully this meets your needs and I am not misunderstanding the situation. As it is, we have no bugs filed associated with wrongful parsing of Subject lines as attachment names, so if my description above is not accurate, we'd definitely want you to file a technical support case so we can gather information about the root cause of this problem.
0
Login to vote