Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

How to fix Error 2343 specified path is empty when upgrading without using Microsoft Cleanup Utility.

Created: 30 Jan 2014 | 4 comments
UmDaMan's picture
3 Agree
0 Disagree
+3 3 Votes
Login to vote

Ok this error has been around for many years with Symantec Endpoint Protection.  I have finally found the problem. The only fix I ever found was to run the Windows cleanup utitlity and remove Symantec Antivirus entry.  I did many hours of research on this about a week ago, and have finally pin pointed where the issues is and how it can be fixed without going to each computer and running the cleanup utility.  This is the most important part of getting a good fix.  If you have 100's of computer that have issues, do you really want to go to 100 computers that have this problem and run the cleanup utility?  I don't think so.

A little bit about how ours was deployed.  We first deployed via AD for initial install.  it was v11.x   Later on we updated AD to deploy v12 MRU1 so if a computer did not have Symantec it would get v12 instead of v11.  Then the SEP Manager would update them to the latest version.  Not sure if this is part of the issue.  But it appears that the Initial Registry key for the v11 product never gets removed by future Symantec Installs.  This is what causes the problem.  So on the computers causing the problem I removed the v11 Product key from Symantec and then pushed out the install to the computer's with the 2343 Error via SEP Manager and bam, the install worked flawless!

Load up your registry on a computer that is getting this Error 2343 specified path is empty" error.  Navigate to the following section:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products

 

 

Go through them all and look at all the ones that have the Product Name = Symantec Endpoint Protection.

Here is where you have to Locate the OLDER key vs Current key that isn't causing any problems.  Here are the ones that I had:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\6CE37A4F4CFED884FAA12F3CDCB10C27

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\6CE37A4F4CFED884FAA12F3CDCB10C27\SourceList\Net

Value: \\nevermind\deploy\Workstations\SEP_Workstation-v12MRU1_MSI-32bit\

Value: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.1101.401.105\Data\Cached Installs\

 

 

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\8CDB0B1C42606304091D7FFDE08E9CD6

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\8CDB0B1C42606304091D7FFDE08E9CD6\SourceList\Net

Value: \\nevermind\deploy\Workstations\SEP_Workstation-MSI\

 

The 8CDBxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Key is our initial AD Deployment (v11).  This is the key that was causing all the problems!   That is the key that I deleted.  The 6CE3xxxxxxxxxxxxx key is the GOOD ONE, do NOT delete.   After deleting the bad key, the install worked.  So my only guess is during the install it looks at theses keys and must try to do something with the older key and says this version does not exist Directory empty.  ERROR!  Remember your keys could be different if you have different versions that were previously installed.  But if your having the problem you will see that you have more then 1 key.  You have to determine which is the older one and newer one.

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

brentsherman1124's picture

This issue basically brought my 12.1.4 upgrade deployment to it's knees.   Needs fixed immediately, Symantec!

0
Login to vote
.Brian's picture

thanks for sharing

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

0
Login to vote
_G_'s picture

Nice work, this also worked for me on the single server I have found with it so far, so thanks very much for sharing. smiley

I'd only add the suggestion to take a backup (export) of the relevant registry keys before deleting them.

Cheers,

G.

0
Login to vote