Possible data inconsistence by using drag & drop or copying from Outlook to file system
sometimes, users are moving or copying Enterprise Vault archived mail items to the file system (e.g. user home directory or project folder in the departement structure). If the user do not recall the item previously or open the item and choose Save as..., the user stores only the Placeholder in the file system.
Now, the user can further access the placeholder without problems, but:
- it is still an Enterprise Vault placeholder
- the msg file was stored with full size
- the msg file does´nt contain a reparse point as file stream
- no colleagues can access this placeholder
- if the placeholder was deleted in outlook and also the referenced item in the archive, the .msg-item is orphaned and can no longer be opened
So, in my opinion, the client should have a function, which prevent this (see File System Archiving). If the user access the file, the file will be recalled.