Showing and monitoring SCSI-3 reservations in VOM
2 Datacenters – each has a Symmetrix and a Solaris-based cluster pair (storage is mirrored by SRDF)
- Datacenter 2 is the active site (SCSI-3 reservations on disk)
- Datacenter 2 failure due to power-outage or other problems
- Failover to datacenter 1 – but SCSI-3 reservations in datacenter 2 remain (but not easily visible --> that’s where VOM could help!)
- There is no failback done to DC2
- After a while the cluster-hw gets upgraded – no issues in datacenter 1
In datacenter 2 we realize, that we cannot access the disks anymore, as the SCSI-3 reservations are on. Nobody realizes at that time why. We were not sure, if we can simply delete the reservations – and even once we tried to, we needed a EMC created script to do so.
It might be very helpful to show the relationship between SCSI-3 reservations and clusternodes – and potentially orphaned reservations (esspecially on RDF2 LUNs)
In the above case, it might have save a lot of time – and I think this is not a singular case...