Web-Based Admin Console
With the previous NetBackup Operations Manager (NOM), and the Veritas Backup Reporter (VBR), and now with OpsCenter, PureDisk and the Appliances, Symantec has been developing and providing web-based GUI's for a lot of NetBackup components and features over the years.
Except for the Administration Console.
Symantec should use the experience it has with web-based interfaces in order to move away from maintaining a seperate Windows-based NetBackup Admininstration Console and the Java Admin Console. Instead, focus on a unified web-based Administration Console. A web-based console that is accessible from any major browser and any major platform.
A web-based Admin Console would have the advantage of:
- Reduce development costs:
- ...Focuse finite development resources on a single interface..
- ...Leverage existing web GUI experience, knowledge and resources
- Reduce security complexity:
- ...No longer having to add remote admin workstations to the NetBackup configuration
- ...Reduce the number of firewall ports needing to be opened for a remote admin workstation
- Reduce support costs:
- ...Provide a single, consistent interface across platforms
There are other benefits, to be sure...
Please add your comments about how you would benefit from a web-based Admin Console in your environment, and what you'd like to see.