Enterprise Discovery Accelerator 9 exports stuck at "processing"
I am using DA 9 on a Windows 2008R2 server, through a back-end Vault 9 server on Windows 2003 (back-end db is SQL2008R2). DA9 is letting me create cases, make and complete searches, and configure and run export jobs. However, the export jobs are getting stuck in a "processing..." status. Things seemed to be going ok, but then suddenly the export jobs stopped dumping data. The DA client reports no errors, and there are no errors in the event logs on the servers that I can see, and no problems with the SQL side. I noticed the DA server was busy (CPU and RAM-wise) when the exports first started running, now after more than 24 hours I've noticed DA exports aren't dumping anything and CPU and RAM activity is non-existent. Seems like the DA server is sitting there pretending to do something, but is silently failing somewhere. I've tried checking all appropriate settings, DA best practices, even dropped the number of export threads to 15 (following bp documentation that suggests 25 might be too high for all environments).