Hello, welcome to this month’s blog on the Microsoft patch release. This month the vendor is releasing nine bulletins covering a total of 26 vulnerabilities. Twenty-one of this month's issues are rated ’Critical’. The Critical issues affect Windows common controls, Internet Explorer, Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), Print Spooler service, Remote Administration Protocol (RAP), and Microsoft Exchange Server.
As always, customers are advised to follow these security best practices:
- Install vendor patches as soon as they are available
- Run all software with the least privileges required while still maintaining functionality
- Avoid handling files from unknown or questionable sources
- Never visit sites of unknown or questionable integrity
- Block external access at the network perimeter to all key systems unless specific access is required
Microsoft's summary of the August releases can be found here...