Hello and welcome to this month’s blog regarding the Microsoft patch release. This is a smaller month in terms of patches—the vendor has released five bulletins covering a total of 15 vulnerabilities.
This month, all of the issues are rated “Important” and they affect Windows, Office, Excel, and SharePoint. Of note this month are the Office and Excel issues, which can be exploited to execute arbitrary code if a user opens a specially malformed file.
As always, customers are advised to follow these security best practices:
- Install vendor patches as soon as they are available.
- Run all software with the least privileges required while still maintaining functionality.
- Avoid handling files from unknown or questionable sources.
- Never visit sites of unknown or questionable integrity.
- Block external access at the network perimeter to all key systems unless specific access is required.
Microsoft’s summary of...