Hello, welcome to this month’s blog on the Microsoft patch release. This is an average month—the vendor is releasing 13 bulletins covering a total of 19 vulnerabilities.
Three of this month's issues are rated ‘Critical’ and they affect Media Player, Microsoft Time ActiveX control, and the public issue regarding TrueType fonts (currently being exploited by Duqu malware). The remaining issues affect Windows, the kernel, Internet Explorer, Active Directory, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Active Directory, Publisher, and Office.
As always, customers are advised to follow these security best practices:
- Install vendor patches as soon as they are available.
- Run all software with the least privileges required while still maintaining functionality.
- Avoid handling files from unknown or questionable sources.
- Never visit sites of unknown or questionable integrity.
- Block external access at the network perimeter...