Disasters happen. In fact, according to the Munchener Ruckversicherungs-Gesellschaft, Geo Risks Research, 355 events, from floods to tornados to tsunamis and earthquakes occurred in 2011. IT organizations need protection from such horrific events, but also those that are more common place, for instance power outages and equipment failures.
Here are a few interesting statistics from the latest Symantec State of the Data Center report (available later this year):
- 70% of organizations experience downtime from power failure (11.3 hours per outage)
- 63% experience cyber attacks (52.7 hours per outage)
- 26% conducted a power outage and failure impact assessment
- Median downtime per outage in the last 12 months was 5 hours
- Organizations experienced an average of 4 downtime incidents in the past 12 months
When most people hear the term "Disaster Recovery", they immediately think of data...