Posted on behalf of Dan Bleaken, Malware Data Analyst, Symantec Hosted Services
Globally, for the past month, spam accounts for roughly 75 percent of all email in circulation. And about 75 percent of that spam is sent from one of the ten to 20 heavyweight botnets, which are huge networks of infected PCs, in some cases more than 1 million strong, sending spam 24/7. The remaining 25 percent of spam is sent via some other technique such as
• spam sent manually/automatically in large volumes using possibly thousands of newly generated, automatic CAPTCHA-broken, free webmail accounts
• spam sent manually/automatically using a compromised private webmail account e.g. a company webmail, university webmail etc
• spam sent manually/automatically using servers with a weak SMTP AUTH password, which the spammers have guessed
• spam sent manually/automatically...