Topology Viewer Video Demo Part of Server Management Suite 7.1
This video demonstrates the Topology Viewer functionality (video duration: 5 min; authors: Alex Bizjajev and Joe Carson)
Topology viewer is the part of Server Management Suite Portal solution (SMS Portal installed along with the Server Management Suite).
Topology viewer has been re-factored in 7.1 to utilize the MS Silverlight (in SMS 7.0 Topology was built on Flash). MS Silverlight 4.0 added as pre-requisite to SIM readiness check and has been pre-installed on my server.
Video covers basic steps to build the network topology scheme for your network from the moment of right after the SMS suite has installed:
- Open SMS Portal, browse to the Topology web-part.
- Launch Network Discovery for some network segment; wait until the discovery completed.
- Press “Refresh” in “Select Root Device” dialog and select root device for Topology diagram.
- View the topology scheme, change the type of devices to display, change the level of topology, re-arrange devices, save the topology diagram
- Modify the Topology diagram. Re-open saved diagram.
- View right-click pop-up menu for some device.
- Search for some device on Topology diagram by name
Hope this could be useful for the people using the SMS suite.