We offer employees a variety of programs and benefits to help them balance their personal and professional lives. These resources help employees be more satisfied, less stressed, and therefore more focused and productive.
We offer paid leave to parents of newborns, adopted children, and newly-placed foster children, and encourage fathers as well as mothers to take advantage of this benefit. Symantec has also established support services through our Employee Assistance Program, such as childcare referrals; free care kits for children, parents, and elders; an online interactive tool called Live and Work Well Here; and our Informed Health Line, which employees can call 24X7 to receive health information.
We believe that alternate schedules and telecommuting can be helpful for managing the demands of work and home while enhancing employee productivity. In FY10 we launched a formal "Ways 2 Work" program in North America, which has been successful in providing flexible work options while simultaneously decreasing the costs and environmental impacts of employee travel.
Symantec conducts regular employee satisfaction surveys of all employees globally. We also measure employee engagement quarterly through the use of Employee Net Promoter Scores (ENPS). This one-question survey asks, “Overall, how likely are you to recommend Symantec to a friend or colleague as a place to work?”
More information about working at Symantec is available on our Careers Website
Supporting Health and Wellness Programs
Symantec offers a variety of services and subsidies to promote health and wellness. Benefits offered vary by region and site; the below list applies primarily to U.S.-based facilities.
- Symantec pays 100 percent of the costs for employees’ and dependents’ annual physicals. To facilitate the visitation and payment process, we have drafted an overview letter for physicians that details which services and tests are covered.
- We pay the full cost of eight employee assistance program (EAP) counseling visits per family member, per incident.
- Flu shots are available at more than 100 sites in the United States from October through December of every year. We also offer flu shots at many global locations at no cost to employees.
- Simple Steps to a Healthier Life is an interactive online wellness program that provides a wealth of consumer health information, as well as interactive questionnaires that empower participants to become more involved in their health management.
- The online Personal Health Record securely stores all health information in one place to make it easier for individuals and their families to maintain a complete health history and share this information with their doctors.
- The Aetna Health Connections Program offers more than 30 condition management programs to participants; certain high-risk members have access to a registered nurse "Health Coach.”
- Employees can also talk to a registered nurse 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to get answers about medical tests, procedures, and treatment options through the Informed Health Line.
Global Health and Safety Management Programs
We strive to provide a safe and healthy work environment for those working for and on behalf of the company. We have developed and implemented health and safety management programs designed to help promote a safe and healthy work environment, to avoid unsafe situations and to respond to accidents, disasters, and medical emergencies.
Our Global Health and Safety Program provides employees with information and training on office ergonomics, emergency preparedness, emergency communication and health and safety consultation. Symantec has also implemented a global emergency medical advisory, treatment, and security program for employees traveling abroad.
Symantec has implemented an ergonomic training and assessment program for all employees, using an online self-assessment approach. The ergonomic program uses a self assessment process and where required ergonomic specialists will also consult with employees by phone or in-person to ensure employees are safe and comfortable in their work environment. This program aims to reduce incidents of pain, discomfort, and ergonomics-related injuries.
The ergonomics program is available for all employees in North America, EMEA and over 70% of employees in the APJ Region. We are planning to extend the program to all remaining locations in the Americas and APJ as well. Once the program is available in all locations, we will shift our focus towards encouraging employees to have an annual ergonomic assessment.
Many employees work remotely on a frequent basis. Symantec developed a remote workers health and safety assessment tool, which is available to all employees around the world, to help ensure a safe remote working environment for those employees. This assessment tool includes a basic health and safety checklist and an ergonomic training and assessment tool.
Emergency Response and Evacuation (ERE) Program
Symantec understands its responsibility for minimizing the danger to life, property, and job security. Symantec Global Emergency Response and Evacuation Programs are designed to facilitate a prompt and effective response and evacuation in emergency situations to protect people and assets, and restore operations to normal as quickly as possible.
Emergency Response Teams are comprised of employee volunteers who have received emergency first aid and disaster response training to enable them to respond to onsite medical incidents or accidents. The overall aim is for the teams to learn how to provide life-saving, first aid assistance to employees and visitors at Symantec. In addition, the ERE Teams are trained to assist in the event of a building evacuation to ensure safe exit and access as required during an emergency event. In order to ensure appropriate evacuation response times, annual drills are conducted in conjunction with Symantec Facilities and Security Teams.