AUCKLAND, New Zealand - 13 December 2012 - Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the New Zealand launch of two backup appliances NetBackup 5220 and Backup Exec 3600. The launch marks a new line of business for Symantec in New Zealand where the company's offering has comprised software and cloud solutions until now.
Symantec's backup appliances are unique to the market. While many solutions require the IT team to integrate multiple solutions for tape, disk, dedupe, physical, virtual snapshots and backup, Symantec appliances are typically installed in less than 30 minutes and deliver integrated hardware, software and dedupe storage, providing customers with simplicity and performance from one vendor. The NetBackup 5220 and Backup Exec 3600 are a modern approach to backup for organisations of any size.
Many organisations are facing challenges with data backup and recovery caused by explosive data growth and wide adoption of virtualisation as well as higher risks of data loss due to unplanned disruptions such as natural disasters.
According to Symantec's recent State of Information Survey conducted with 4,506 organisations in 38 countries, the total size of information stored today by all businesses is 2.2 zettabytes and information costs businesses worldwide $1.1 trillion annually.
The survey also revealed that 69 percent of the businesses surveyed had experienced some form of information loss due to human error, hardware failure, security breach, and/or lost or stolen devices. In addition, some 25 percent of respondents were also challenged by the overwhelming growth of information.
Brenton Smith, vice president and managing director, Pacific region, Symantec says the company's appliances deliver an end-to-end integrated backup appliance for servers, storage, and software.
"Gone are the days of extreme systems engineering where it was the customer's responsibility to make all of their backup solutions work together. With these appliances we've introduced ground-breaking new features to replace outdated and complicated approaches."
Both Backup Exec and NetBackup appliances provide customers with an all-in-one platform that centralises backup for physical and virtual environments and maximises performance with end-to-end deduplication - all on pre-configured devices supported by Symantec.
Smith says the appliances will appeal to New Zealand organisations looking for a simple answer to the complex problem of data protection.
"The purpose-built appliances are a cornerstone in our strategy to drive complexity and costs out of the local backup market. The combination of backup software, servers, storage and deduplication in a single technology will be an attractive proposition for organisations looking to take control of their data."
NetBackup 5220 Key Features:
- NetBackup Accelerator: Helps shrink big backups into smaller backup windows by delivering full backups at the speed of incremental backups for up to 100 times faster backup.
- Replication Director: Brings the speed of snapshots and the recoverability of backup together to protect large volumes of data and virtual machines.
- Symantec V-Ray Technology: Protects up to 3,000 VMware virtual machines with a single appliance while enabling fast file or image recovery with less hardware (e.g., direct VMware vSphere backups without proxy servers).
- Auto Image Replication: Enables disaster recovery over the network by combining deduplication with replication so you can stop putting tapes on trucks or helicopters.
- Symantec Critical System Protection: Combines security and storage to protect appliances and backup data against zero day attacks and malicious insider threats.
- WAN Optimisation: Provides reliable backups even in high latency environments.
Backup Exec 3600 Key Features:
- Next Gen Backup User Experience: Changes the way backups are managed by organising them around systems and information. Optimised and priced for SMB customers, the Backup Exec 3600 appliance's policies and settings are designed so organisations can implement expert backup policies without being experts in backup.
- Symantec V-Ray: Unites virtual and physical backups to deliver single-pass backups of VMware, Hyper-V and the physical hosts they run on so users can recover virtual machines, applications, databases, files, folders and even granular objects in seconds.
- Free Disaster Recovery Built-In: Integrated bare metal recovery includes Backup-to-Virtual (B2V) and Physical-to-Virtual (P2V) conversion technologies to allow users to recover a failed system to a VMware or Hyper-V guest. All Backup Exec customers who upgrade to BE 2012 have access to this at no cost, enabling businesses that thought disaster recovery was out of reach to implement a plan.
- Tape-Out Support: Backup Exec 3600 appliance has added tape support for additional longer-term or offsite data protection.
- Cloud Recovery as a Service: With the Cloud disaster recovery option, customers can leverage cloud recovery as a service powered by Doyenz for planned and unplanned system recovery of VMware environments.
- Data Deduplication: Users can protect more data while reducing storage by up to 90 percent and improve backup performance through integrated deduplication and archiving technology.
Better Backup for All and Appliances Momentum
Since launching its Better Backup for All initiative in February 2012:
- More than 20,000 new customers have purchased Backup Exec and NetBackup software or appliances.
- In the last 12 months Symantec has seen 250 percent growth in new appliance customers and 450 percent growth in the number of units shipped.
- Symantec appliance customers are coming back for more, with sales figures showing 40 percent of purchases from repeat customers.
Pricing and Availability
Symantec Backup Exec 3600 and NetBackup 5220 appliances are now available in New Zealand with pricing starting at $15,993.97 for the Backup Exec 3600 appliance and $45,915.55 for the NetBackup 5220 appliance. For more information, please visit www.symantec.com/backup-exec-3600-appliance or www.symantec.com/backup-appliance.
About Storage from Symantec
Symantec protects the world's information, and is a global leader in security, backup and availability solutions. Our innovative products and services protect people and information in any environment - from the smallest mobile device, to the enterprise data centre, to cloud-based systems. Our world-renowned expertise in protecting data, identities and interactions gives our customers confidence in a connected world. More information is available at www.symantec.comor by connecting with Symantec at: go.symantec.com/socialmedia.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality, or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.