The 2011 Threat Landscape
The Internet Security Threat Report provides an overview and analysis of the year in global threat activity. The report is based on data from the Global Intelligence Network, which Symantec's analysts use to identify, analyze, and provide commentary on emerging trends in attacks, malicious code activity, phishing, and spam. Here are some highlights from the threat landscape of 2011:
- Symantec blocked a total of over 5.5 billion malware attacks in 2011, an 81% increase over 2010.
- Web based attacks increased by 36% with over 4,500 new attacks each day.
- 403 million new variants of malware were created in 2011, a 41% increase of 2010.
- SPAM volumes dropped by 13% in 2011 over rates in 2010.
- 39% of malware attacks via email used a link to a web page.
- Mobile vulnerabilities continued to rise, with 315 discovered in 2011.
Internet Security Threat Report, Vol. 17 Main ReportOur PDF file of the Main Report includes all the notable and important information on the 2011 threat landscape. The Main Report does not include the large appendices of supporting material.
Create Your Own Custom ReportUse this tool to compile the information important to you in the Internet Security Threat Report, Vol. 17. Your custom report will appear in its own browser window where you can share it across social media sites, bookmark it, or print your report. Build A Custom Report
View the Report OnlineThe whole of the Internet Security Threat Report, including regional data for the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, can be found online in our View the Report section of this site. Go to the Online Report
Did You Know?
This short video features the latest threats and security trends covered in the Symantec Internet Security Threat Report, Volume 17. Play the video