The survey highlighted topics including server, client, and storage virtualization, storage-as-a-service, and hybrid/private cloud technologies; and the results uncover disparities between expectations and reality as enterprises deploy these solutions. CEOs and CFOs are concerned with moving business-critical applications into virtual or cloud environments due to challenges including reliability, security, availability and performance. The survey is based on more than 3,700 respondents from 35 countries worldwide.
Symantec offers recommendations to help make the journey as smooth as possible:
- Ensure alignment between IT and executives in virtualization and cloud initiatives.
- Don’t operate in a silo when it comes to cloud computing.
- Leverage and modernize your existing infrastructure.
- Set realistic expectations and track your results.
• Infographic: Is It the Time to Migrate Business-Critical Applications to the Cloud?
• Full report (PDF) “Virtualization and Evolution to the Cloud Survey 2011”