Singapore – September 9, 2010 – With 65 percent of consumers worldwide falling victim to cybercrime1 , the need to choose the strongest, most comprehensive protection available is more important than ever. Today, Norton from Symantec (Nasdaq: SYMC) released Norton AntiVirus and Norton Internet Security 2011, the only suite to achieve a 100 percent protection score in a new third-party test from Dennis Labs2 . Advancing the Norton commitment to releasing only the fastest and lightest security products on the market in the fight against cybercrime, the 2011 products have been carefully engineered to exceed already industry-leading performance and protection benchmarks. Norton goes even further by providing a free tool to consumers, Norton Power Eraser, that is designed to aggressively target and eliminate fake antivirus or “scareware” applications.
“Today’s cybercriminals are not standing down – consumers need the very best protection to stay safe online,” said Janice Chaffin, President, Consumer Business Unit, Symantec. “The Norton 2011 products are the highest quality we have ever built and the most comprehensive protection on the market with additional, value-added tools for protecting customers from today’s ever-evolving threats.”
Norton Does More: Protection, Performance and Free Tools
New product features, performance enhancements and free tools mean that Norton does even more than the competition to help prevent users from being victimized by cyber thieves.
According to new third-party test data from Dennis Labs, Norton placed first in real world threat detection tests and was the only vendor to achieve a remarkable 100 percent protection score, marking its second year in a row to secure this distinction. Notably, Dennis Labs recently had its real world security testing methodology reviewed by the Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organization (AMTSO) and received a 100 percent compliance. Additionally, in recent testing conducted by AV-Test.org3 , Norton 2011 led a pack of 12 competitive security offerings in both detection and remediation of threats. Norton has also received top scores in both detection and remediation in evaluations performed by the independent security testing organization AV-Comparatives . The following advanced features of the Norton 2011 products help deliver its unmatched real world protection:
- Reputation Based Security instantly checks when and where programs originated to identify and stop new malicious programs faster than ever. Norton’s reputation system also allows users to determine if their overall download behavior is more or less risky compared to the 58 million Norton Community Watch members today.
- System Insight 2.0 with new Proactive Performance Alerts monitors all running applications, and now proactively alerts users if any program is overusing system resources and slowing them down so they can make changes to improve computer performance.
- Download Insight 2.0 delivers the most aggressive reputation-based protection yet, checking every downloaded file for safety before it is allowed to run.
- SONAR 3 brings a new level of behavioral security to Norton 2011, providing true "zero-day" protection against new and emerging threats that are specifically designed to evade other security features. With its improved classification techniques, SONAR 3 identifies suspicious software based on its behaviors and automatically handles any decision making on behalf of the user.
- Norton Bootable Recovery Tool conveniently allows Norton users to boot a PC into a safe state when a system is so deeply infected with a rootkit or other troublesome malware that installing security software or even properly starting up becomes impossible. New this year, the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool wizard automatically creates a CD/DVD/USB bootable device in a quick and easy way. Learn more about Norton Bootable Recovery Tool and download it here.
In addition to the industry leading protection of Norton Internet Security 2011, these products remain the proven fastest and lightest security product in the world. According to new third-party testing data from PassMark Software5 , Norton Internet Security 2011 beat out a field of well-known security offerings, coming in first in overall performance among security suites.
- Norton Internet Security 2011 performs 65% better than the competitive average of PassMark scores
- Norton Internet Security 2011 scans 61% faster than the competitive average
- Norton Internet Security 2011 has the fastest installation time of 41 seconds
Additionally, Norton Internet Security 2011outperformed the competition on everyday PC activities like browsing the Internet and copying files, such as photos or documents, from one location to another. Compared to Norton 2010, the new Norton had 25 percent less impact on browsing the Internet and reduced impact on copying files by more than 60 percent.
Norton’s New Look
The new user interface of Norton 2011 organizes security controls, settings, and information about a computer’s protection and performance status in one easy-to-read and redesigned screen. New this year is the Norton Protection Map, which provides up-to-the minute information about the newest threats Norton has identified and is protecting against around the globe. Additionally, users can get easy one-click access to important data from web-based Norton services including: Norton Online Backup, Norton Online Family and Norton Safe Web6
Norton Offers Free Tools
Because any infected machine poses a risk to the broader online community, Norton is offering powerful free tools for consumers, regardless of the security solution they use to provide all computer users with a deeper level of protection. While these tools are available to everyone, Norton customers benefit from the fact that they are already integrated into the 2011 product experience.
One of these free tools is Norton Power Eraser, which is specially designed to aggressively target and eliminate today’s latest threats, including fake antivirus or scareware programs. Fake antivirus programs impersonate legitimate software and provide a way for cybercriminals to swindle hundreds of millions of dollars out of consumers each year. Norton Power Eraser is available both for free online and as a link within the 2011 Norton products. Learn more about Norton Power Eraser and download it here.
Additional free tools Norton offers include a downloadable toolbar that identifies risky sites before users click on them in search results. Facebook users can protect themselves with Norton Safe Web for Facebook, which scans current Facebook news feeds to see if they contain links that are unsafe. Norton also offers a free tool for parents and kids – Norton Online Family – which helps keep kids stay safe online while encouraging open communication with their parents about their online activities.
Pricing, Availability and Compatibility
Norton Internet Security 2011 and Norton AntiVirus 2011 are now available for purchase in Singapore through various retailers and the Norton online store at http://www.symantecstore.com/sg. Norton 2011 products support Microsoft Windows XP (32-bit) Home/Professional/Tablet PC/Media Center with Service Pack 2 or later, Microsoft Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) and Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) both for Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate editions.
The suggested retail price for Norton Internet Security 2011 is S$89 for a three PC license and S$49 for a single PC license. The suggested retail price for Norton AntiVirus 2011 is S$65 for a three PC license and S$39 for a single PC license. The price includes one-year service subscription to use the product and receive Symantec’s protection updates.
Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus 2007 or later users with a valid product subscription are eligible to receive the latest product updates via the subscription service model. For more information, visit the Norton Update center at http://updatecenter.norton.com.
Links to New Reports:
- Norton report: Norton Cybercrime Report: The Human Impact
- PassMark Software report: http://www.passmark.com/avreport
- Dennis Labs report: http://www.dennistechnologylabs.com/reports/s/a-m/symantec/DTL_PCVP2011_SYMC.pdf
- AV-Test reports:
About Norton From Symantec
Symantec’s Norton products protect consumers from cybercrime with technologies like antivirus, anti-spyware and phishing protection -- while also being light on system resources. The company also provides services such as online backup, PC tuneup, and family online safety. Fan Norton on Facebook at www.facebook.com/norton and follow @NortonOnline on Twitter.
About SymantecSymantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
1 Source: Norton Cybercrime Report: The Human Impact Sept. 2010
2 Source: Dennis Technology Labs report, “PC Virus Protection 2011”, Aug 2010.
5 Source: ”Fastest” based on scan speed, and “lightest” based on a combination of 14 benchmark tests intended to simulate regular PC usage. PassMark Software report, “Consumer Antivirus Performance Benchmarks” (2011), Aug 2010.
6 Norton AntiVirus 2011 user interface features access to Norton Online Backup and Norton Activity Map only