SINGAPORE – August 2, 2011 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the availability of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 as well as results from independent tests demonstrating that the product outperforms the competition in both virtual and physical environments, providing unrivalled protection and blazingly fast performance. According to Symantec’s Internet Security Threat Report, attackers unleashed more than 286 million distinct malicious programs in 2010, creating a challenge for traditional signature-based security solutions that can’t keep up with this volume of attacks. Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 and Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition are now available to combat the sheer volume of sophisticated attacks targeting organisations of all sizes today.
Symantec engaged with a number of well-known third-party testing organisations to benchmark Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 against competing products in the areas of protection and performance. These tests evaluated products in both virtual environments, particularly highly consolidated virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) environments, as well as physical environments. Recent testing performed by Dennis Labs demonstrates that Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 running in a VDI environment defended against more real-world threats than comparable solutions from McAfee and Trend Micro. In addition, The Tolly Group measured the performance of these solutions in VDI environments, determining that Symantec completes an on-demand scan in about half the time with 49 percent less disk bandwidth when compared to solutions from McAfee and Trend Micro. In addition, Symantec Endpoint Protection required 20 percent less disk bandwidth when performing on-access scanning compared to Trend Micro’s agentless DeepSecurity solution.
In real-world security tests performed by AV-Test.org in physical environments, Symantec protected better than comparable solutions from Kaspersky, McAfee, Microsoft, Sophos and Trend Micro. In recent Passmark Software Performance Benchmarks, Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 performed faster than competing solutions from Kaspersky, McAfee, Microsoft, Sophos and Trend Micro. Passmark conducted the same evaluation for Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition against comparable solutions from ESET, Kaspersky, McAfee and Trend Micro; again, Symantec received the top performance scores.
Symantec Endpoint Protection 12: To provide unmatched protection against today’s sophisticated threat landscape, Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 uses Insight, Symantec’s award-winning community and cloud-based reputation technology, to detect and block new threats earlier and more accurately than any other corporate security product. Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 also leverages Insight to reduce the overhead of virus scanning by as much as 70 percent by automatically identifying and whitelisting Symantec-trusted high-reputation files, eliminating significant scanning activity from each endpoint. In addition, SONAR, the world’s first hybrid behavioural-reputation engine, monitors running applications for suspicious behaviours to block zero-day and highly targeted threats in real-time. Symantec’s intrusion prevention system (IPS) technology blocks attacks at the network layer, before they can do damage to a computer. Together, these technologies make Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 the fastest, most effective, corporate endpoint security product on the market.
Optimised for performance on virtual systems, Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 can automatically identify and manage virtual machines (VMs). Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 also integrates directly with VMware’s security APIs to scan for malware inside offline VMware images. To alleviate concurrent scans, known as ‘AV Storms,’ from impacting performance in dense virtual environments, Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 whitelists baseline VM images and shares scan results across VMs so that identical files only need to be scanned once across an entire pool. When combined with the scanning elimination from Insight, Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 enables faster, more responsive host systems, which in turn supports greater density of virtual instances, particularly for highly consolidated VDI environments.
Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition: Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition employs the same Insight, SONAR and IPS technologies to offer enterprise-class threat detection technologies and performance improvements for small business customers. With simple-to-use features such as an installation wizard, pre-configured policy settings and automated notifications and reports, Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition meets smaller organisations’ needs with the fastest, most effective anti-malware capabilities in the industry. Small businesses will have peace of mind that their data is safe from cybercriminals, so that they can stay focused on growing their businesses.
Security for Any Size: Symantec provides a broad portfolio of flexible solutions to meet the varying needs of companies of all sizes—from the largest enterprises to small businesses. For mid- to large-sized organisations, Symantec offers Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 for on-premise deployment. Symantec also offers the Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition which includes messaging security and Web security along with backup and recovery capabilities. For smaller organisations, Symantec offers both cloud-based and on-premise solutions with Symantec Endpoint Protection.cloud and Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition, giving customers with flexible deployment options to best meet their business needs. Free trial versions are available:
Switch to Symantec: Small and medium organisations currently using a competing endpoint security product may qualify for discounted pricing on Symantec Endpoint Protection 12. Symantec customers with a current maintenance contract are entitled to upgrade to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 at no additional cost. Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 and Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition are now available for purchase through Symantec’s worldwide network of value-added authorised resellers, distributors and systems integrators or directly.
Symantec Security Framework: Symantec Endpoint Protection is part of the Symantec Security Framework, a portfolio of security products and services that enable organisations to counter emerging threats, support new computing models and simplify security management. Symantec’s portfolio of security products and services allow organisations to pursue innovations - such as mobile, cloud and virtual computing models. By providing relevant, actionable security intelligence and simultaneously simplifying security management, businesses can increase both the efficiency and effectiveness of their security posture.
- "Organisations of all sizes are at risk of targeted cyber attacks which continue to increase in size, scope and sophistication. In conjunction with Symantec Security Day 2011, we are unveiling our latest innovation, Symantec Endpoint Protection 12, to help businesses to address these challenges. By pairing our award-winning Insight technology with blazingly fast performance in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12, we give all our customers peace-of-mind that their information is always secure and protected."
-- Tan Yuh Woei, country manager, Singapore, Symantec Corporation
- "Increasingly, IT security is becoming a top-of-mind issue. Enterprises and SMBs alike are looking for effective ways to secure their information and infrastructure in both the physical and virtual environments. Having tested the most recent release of SEP 12 beta, we are impressed with its high performance and ability to run a full scan with minimum system impact. We are confident that with a game-changing solution such as the SEP 12, we will be able to achieve and further enhance the win-win-win situation between Symantec, Imperium and our customers."
-- Tony Tan, director, Imperium Solutions Pte Ltd
- "The rapid adoption of virtualisation and cloud computing technologies has caused the enterprise IT landscape to grow in complexity. As customers increasingly leverage these technologies for their infrastructure and information demands, the ability to secure such environments in an effective and efficient way has become extremely crucial. Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 addresses this need by protecting our customers against more real-world threats in both VDI and physical environments. What’s more, its on-demand scan only takes up half the time with 49 percent less disk bandwidth as compared to other solutions in the market. We are extremely excited and look forward to rolling this out to our customers in the Singapore market."
-- Thomas Yeo, director of Technology and Business Development, Pro-Datech
- Blog Post: Small Businesses: Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 Small Business Edition Is Now Available!
- Video: Virtualisation Security with SEP 12.1 Security
- Competitive Challenge
- SlideShare: Symantec Endpoint Protection 12
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 12
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 Press Kit
- Symantec Endpoint Protection.cloud
- Symantec Protection Suite Enterprise Edition
- Symantec Security Framework
- Internet Security Threat Report
- Wall Street Journal Innovation Awards
- Trial: Symantec Endpoint Protection 12
- Trial: Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition
- Trial: Symantec Endpoint Protection.cloud
- "Switch and Save" Security Promotion
- Box Shot: Symantec Endpoint Protection 12
- Box Shot: Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition
- Dennis Labs Test in Virtual Environments
- Tolly Group Test in Virtual Environments
- AV Test: Real World Testing Report
- PassMark Software: Enterprise Endpoint Protection Performance Benchmarks
- PassMark Software: Small Business Endpoint Protection Performance Benchmarks
Connect with Symantec
About Business Solutions from Symantec
Symantec helps organisations secure and manage their information-driven world with endpoint security, messaging security, web security, data protection, identity authentication and security management solutions.
About Security Technology and Response
The Security Technology and Response (STAR) organisation, which includes Security Response, is a worldwide team of security engineers, threat analysts and researchers that provides the underlying functionality, content and support for all Symantec corporate and consumer security products. With Response centres located throughout the world, STAR monitors malicious code reports from more than 130 million systems across the Internet, receives data from 240,000 network sensors in more than 200 countries and tracks more than 25,000 vulnerabilities affecting more than 55,000 technologies from more than 8,000 vendors. The team uses this vast intelligence to develop and deliver the world’s most comprehensive security protection.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organisations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec Logo, and the Checkmark Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Symantec, endpoint protection, security, virtualisation,