SINGAPORE – Symantec Vision 2011 – November 18, 2011 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced version 6.0 of the company’s storage management and high availability products. With this release, Symantec enables IT organizations to build resilient private clouds by transforming their existing infrastructure. Organizations can manage entire business services end-to-end with built in resiliency, even if the business service is run across multiple virtualization technologies, operating systems, and storage platforms. This release spans multiple products in Symantec’s portfolio including its flagship Veritas Storage Foundation 6.0, Veritas Cluster Server 6.0, and Veritas Operations Manager 4.1, all tightly integrated to help IT organizations move confidently to a private cloud architecture.
Symantec’s recent Virtualization and Evolution to the Cloud Survey found that 67 percent of IT and C-level professionals are less confident about placing mission-critical applications on a private/hybrid cloud due to business requirements for high availability SLAs. This concern extends to their storage environment as well, with 82 percent of respondents selecting improved availability as an important goal for deciding to implement private storage-as-a-service.
“IT architects appreciate the promise of the private cloud, but beneath the hype they are grappling with very real questions,” said Anil Chakravarthy, Senior Vice President, Storage and Availability Management Group, Symantec. “How do I transform my infrastructure to make it more agile? How do I give it the characteristics of a public cloud without compromising on availability and security?”
With Symantec, IT organizations can build their own resilient private clouds by tapping into the investments they have already made in their data center. With this release, organizations can:
- Manage business services end-to-end across heterogeneous platforms
- Deploy resilient, elastic storage for cloud workloads
- Reduce the storage footprint through deduplication, compression and thin reclamation
- Use a single pane of glass for intelligent reporting and non-disruptive remediation
New Products Announced:
- Veritas Storage Foundation 6.0
- Veritas Cluster Server 6.0
- Veritas Operations Manager 4.1
- Symantec ApplicationHA 6.0
- Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing 6.0
- Veritas Cluster File System 6.0
- Veritas Replicator 6.0
- Symantec VirtualStore 6.0
- Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows 6.0
- Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle RAC 6.0
- Veritas Storage Foundation for Sybase ACE 6.0
Manage availability of business services end-to-end across heterogeneous platforms with Veritas Cluster Server 6.0 and Symantec ApplicationHA 6.0
Most business critical applications today are multi-tiered with web, application, middleware, and database layers sitting across multiple servers, across platforms, across physical and virtual environments and using different types of storage. Ensuring end-to-end availability of the business service is a challenge today. IT organizations have to deal with multiple tools, manual intervention, and coordination between different teams in the event of a downtime, whether planned or unplanned.
Veritas Cluster Server 6.0 and Symantec ApplicationHA 6.0 with their new Virtual Business Services (VBS) capability are designed to provide continuous high availability and reduce duration of service disruptions for entire multi-tier business applications by encapsulating them as a single entity. Administrators can expect to orchestrate the start, stop, non-disruptive testing, and failover of entire multi tier applications with a single click – resulting in resilience and mobility for the business service. Veritas Cluster Server continues to provide the industry’s most comprehensive out-of-the box application support and is available on all major OS and Virtualization platforms including IBM AIX, HP-UX, Oracle Solaris, Linux, Microsoft Windows, and VMware.
Deploy resilient, elastic storage for cloud workloads with Veritas Storage Foundation 6.0
With storage needs growing exponentially, IT organizations need a new approach to manage their environments in a cost-effect and flexible manner, while maintaining high levels of availability for their critical applications. This approach means having the ability to grow and shrink storage dynamically, keeping storage optimized in real time, and having the flexibility to choose the right type of storage from the right vendors. Additionally, storage administrators and managers need tools that help automate storage provisioning, usage-based charge backs, and reporting across data centers with heterogeneous storage environments.
The Veritas Storage Foundation product suite allows storage managers to choose the right hardware solution for their storage needs and complements the advanced functions in the storage arrays. Storage Foundation 6.0 is planned to support deduplication and compression at the file system layer. Along with support for thin reclamation, storage tiering, dynamic resizing, and smart migration, Storage Foundation is designed with the most comprehensive storage optimization capabilities to block-based SAN storage environments. All these functions are expected to run with no application downtime required and minimal performance impact with automated priority based I/O scheduling that distinguishes between application and maintenance operations. The Veritas Storage Foundation suite includes Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing, Veritas Cluster File System, and Symantec VirtualStore, with support for all major storage arrays and operating system platforms.
Use a single pane of glass for intelligent reporting, remediation and management with Veritas Operations Manager 4.1
Veritas Operations Manager (VOM) provides a single management console across physical and virtual servers that helps customers visualize, analyze, and control business service availability and heterogeneous storage environments across data centers. IT organizations can provision storage using policy-based templates and implement chargeback based on real application storage utilization with Veritas Operations Manager Advanced. Not only can Veritas Operations Manager provide a true application to disk view of the entire storage infrastructure, it allows administrators to take immediate remedial action to optimize and scale storage utilization with Veritas Storage Foundation.
Get the private cloud you want from the infrastructure you’ve got
With the introduction of these solutions, organizations can tie together existing assets—whether on physical or virtual systems, across OS and virtualization platforms and with all major storage arrays—to build resiliency, scalability, and flexibility into their infrastructures. Symantec enables IT organizations to transform their existing infrastructure to get the benefits of a resilient private cloud.
- “Much has changed in the industry in the five years since Symantec’s industry-leading storage management and high availability software Storage Foundation HA 5.0 was first released,” said Anil Chakravarthy, Senior Vice President, Storage and Availability Management Group, Symantec. “We have retooled Storage Foundation and incorporated new innovations from across our product portfolio to help our customers build highly available, resilient private cloud environments out of the infrastructure they’ve already got. These innovations provide complete end-to-end visibility and complete control of their heterogeneous infrastructure.”
- “Organizations struggle to manage systems and applications with employees online 24 hours a day and the amount of information being created each day by businesses,” said David A. Chapa, Enterprise Strategy Group. “Organizations can no longer tolerate downtime of the most critical applications which is pushing SLAs to get more and more strict. As a result IT must maximize the value of its existing infrastructure to do more. With Storage Foundation 6.0, Symantec helps organizations transform their data center operations and enables IT to keep pace with the speed of business.”
- “We are always looking for efficiencies in the way we run IT operations, from keeping business services available to provisioning storage. We needed a solution that provided the right attributes such as elasticity, agility and automation, but allowed us to continue to use our existing, heterogeneous infrastructure to keep our costs in check,” said Andrey L. Skripkin, Head of Data Center Department, Vimpelcom. “That is why we choose Veritas Storage Foundation and Veritas Cluster Server from Symantec. Symantec empowers us to use the infrastructure we already have to deliver the services our business needs.”
- “Symantec ApplicationHA provides us with unique visibility into our virtual environment, allowing us to exceed our 99.5 percent application availability SLA across VMware,” said Graeme Hackland, IT/IS Director for Lotus Renault GP. “We can also automate the process of ensuring these critical applications are available in the event of a disaster or unexpected downtime through ApplicationHA’s coordination with the underlying virtual infrastructure. This can all be done either from within VMware vCenter or through the Veritas Operations Manager console to facilitate the management of the recovery process.”
- “Veritas Storage Foundation Cluster File System helps us reduce application downtime and improves access to critical data,” said Suphot Punnachaiya, VP – IT and BSS Integration, AIS. “We can use it to share storage resources and data across multiple physical servers, giving more efficient access to databases and other files, while providing the fastest failover protection for those ‘just in case’ scenarios.”
For more information visit: go.symantec.com/privatecloud.
- SlideShare: Storage Management and High Availability 6.0 Launch
- Video: Storage Optimization for Virtual Environments
- Video: Build Highly Resilient Business Services
- Video: The Cloud and My Data Center
- Podcast: Getting to the private cloud: trends and challenges
- Podcast: Availability for the private cloud: High Availability in the virtualized server environment
- Podcast: Storage for the private cloud - Storage needs for the cloud
- Podcast: Private Cloud: Bringing agility to the data center
- Infographic: Is it Time to Move Business-Critical Apps to the Cloud?
- Storage Management and Availability for the Cloud 6.0 Resource Center
- Symantec Virtualization Solutions
- Symantec Disaster Recovery Solutions
- Symantec High Availability Solutions
- Symantec Storage Management Solutions
- High Availability
- Veritas Storage Foundation
- Veritas Storage Foundations Cluster File System
- Symantec VirtualStore
- Veritas Cluster Server
- Veritas Operations Manager
- Virtualization Management
- Symantec FileStore
Connect with Symantec
About Storage and Availability Management from Symantec
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com or by connecting with Symantec at: go.symantec.com/socialmedia.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Forward-looking Statements: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality, or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
Symantec, Veritas, Storage Foundation, Cluster File System, Storage Foundation and Cluster Server for Windows, Cluster Server, Storage Foundation for Databases, Dynamic Multi-pathing, VirtualStore, ApplicationHA, Veritas Volume Replicator, Data Insight, Veritas Operations Manager, Storage Foundation, Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle RAC, Veritas Storage Foundation for Sybase ASC CE, Veritas Cluster Server, Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows, Veritas Storage Foundation HA for Windows, cloud, cloud storage, cloud computing, virtualization, disaster recovery, business continuity, storage management