LAS VEGAS – VMworld 2011 – Aug. 30, 2011 – Today at VMworld® 2011, Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) announced the general availability of the Backup Exec 3600 and NetBackup 5220 enterprise backup appliances to help organizations modernize their backup infrastructures and accelerate new initiatives around virtualization with greater reliability. Symantec backup appliances can be deployed in as little as 30 minutes and help organizations protect information completely, in physical or virtual environments, and deduplicate data everywhere to improve efficiency and reduce costs.
Backup Exec 3600: Visibility and content-aware deduplication across physical and virtual systems
Equipped with Symantec V-Ray technology, Backup Exec 3600 appliance provides the same unique visibility into virtual environments as Backup Exec 2010 software to allow organizations to speed recovery times and reduce storage costs. Symantec Backup Exec 3600 is the first all-in-one backup appliance with integrated client and target data deduplication for protecting virtual and physical machines for medium sized companies with limited IT staff. Backup Exec 3600 will support the upcoming release of VMware vSphere® 5, and is the only solution available with Backup Exec on optimized hardware and software.
Backup Exec 3600 is a simple and reliable backup appliance designed to reduce IT complexity by providing:
- Virtual server visibility: Backup Exec embedded V-Ray technology makes data and application recovery a simple process. With Backup Exec, administrators have a clear catalog view of their backup sets from which the administrator can select an entire backup set or a single object in that set and click to restore.
- Platform availability: The appliance can protect key operating systems and platforms and offers deep application and database support for faster backup and restore.
- Reduce integration complexity: The Backup Exec 3600 appliance features integrated and optimized hardware that is certified to run the latest Backup Exec 2010 software, and enables a single point for technical support. Using an advanced installation wizard, the Backup Exec 3600 appliance can be up and running in minutes.
- Total protection: Along with advanced technologies such as source and target deduplication, the Backup Exec appliances also includes Symantec Critical System Protection for total virus and malware security protection.
NetBackup 5220: First all-in-one backup appliance that protects virtual and physical systems
Symantec NetBackup 5220 is the industry’s first scalable backup appliance for enterprise organizations with both client and target deduplication designed to accelerate backups for physical and virtual systems. Based on NetBackup 7.1, the appliance includes Symantec’s content-aware deduplication which can reduce backup volume and network utilization by as much as 99 percent, eliminating backup window problems and enabling cost effective replication of data to other sites for business continuity. NetBackup also has plans to support VMware vSphere 5 in the next release due out later this year.
With the NetBackup 5220 appliance, organizations can:
- Increase backup reliability: Integrated and optimized hardware provides reliable performance and a single point of support to streamline problem resolution.
- Reduce operating expenses: Eliminate time spent patching and maintaining backup servers and their related components.
- Refresh data center backup: The NetBackup 5220 appliance can act as a single all-in-one backup server or can scale out for environments that require multiple backup media servers. Compatibility with software versions of NetBackup make it easy to integrate the appliance without disruption.
- Improve virtual machine protection: Equipped with Symantec V-Ray technology, NetBackup appliances allow customers to eliminate point tools, increase the reliability of recovery, and maximize storage savings.
- Simplify remote office protection: Reduce the hardware & maintenance required to protect remote offices with an appliance that performs backups, stores deduplicated data, and replicates data offsite.
- Transform disaster recovery readiness: The NetBackup 5220 includes tape-out capabilities, the automatic image replication feature for faster recovery at alternate sites, and support for Symantec OpenStorage (OST) cloud connectors (e.g., Nirvanix) to use cloud storage as another tier for disaster recovery.
- “Symantec’s recent release of the NetBackup 5220 series appliance truly provides a ‘backup in a box’ approach to data protection for our public sector customers. DLT recently test drove Symantec’s NetBackup 5220 which resulted in remarkable results,” said Rick Marcotte, president and CEO, DLT Solutions. “Not only did the appliance receive high marks for ease of use by combining functionality from Symantec’s NetBackup software product with the simplified deployment of an appliance, the deduplication rates and backup speeds achieved extremely high industry standards.”
- “Backup is a critical insurance policy for virtual environments,” said Sean Regan, director of product marketing for Symantec’s Information Management Group. “The Backup Exec 3600 and NetBackup 5220 appliances provide organizations with the flexibility to manage data in a way that makes the most sense for their physical or virtual environments, while getting them up and running as fast as possible.”
- “Having a backup appliance that supports virtual environments allows organizations to have consistent service levels and performance,” said Parag Patel, vice president, Global Strategic Alliances, VMware. “As companies move to modernize their infrastructures, they continually look for backup solutions that will accelerate new initiatives around virtualization and cloud computing with increased reliability.”
Symantec NetBackup 5220 series and Backup Exec 3600 series appliances are available now in North America. Both appliances will roll out in additional countries in a phased approach over the next year. Existing NetBackup and Backup Exec users can repurpose existing licenses to deploy the NetBackup 5220 or Backup Exec 3600, respectively.
- Backup Exec 3600 Appliance product page
- NetBackup 5220 Appliance product page
- SlideShare: VMware 2011 News
- SlideShare: Symantec 2011 Backups in a Virtual Environment Flash Poll Global Results
- Symantec’s appliance strategy
- Symantec V-Ray Technology
- Symantec Backup Exec
- Symantec NetBackup
- 2011 VMworld Press Kit
- 2011 Symantec Virtualization and Evolution to the Cloud Survey
- Symantec Virtualization Solutions
Connect with Symantec
About Storage from Symantec
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
VMware, VMware vSphere and VMworld are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions.
Forward-looking Statements: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality, or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
TECHNORATI TAGS: Symantec, Backup, recovery, virtualization, backup appliance, Backup and recovery, cloud storage, information management, data protection, data retention, Backup Exec, NetBackup, deduplication