These Trademark Usage Guidelines (the "Guidelines") set forth the rules for using or referring to the trademarks and service owned by Symantec Corporation or its affiliates ("Symantec"). For the purposes of these Guidelines, "Symantec Trademark(s)" shall include all registered or unregistered trademarks and service marks (such as words, names, symbols, devices, slogans, or combination of these) owned by Symantec, including but not limited to the trademarks and service marks listed on the Symantec Trademark List
Symantec considers its trademarks and service marks to be among its most valuable intellectual property assets. As such, Symantec intends to take all appropriate measures to preserve the strength of and retain its exclusive rights to use its marks. Symantec asks that you assist us by following these Guidelines. If you have any questions about the Guidelines, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Prohibited Uses Of Symantec Trademarks
- Do Not Use Symantec Trademarks As The Name Of Your Company, Products, Or Services, Or As A Domain Name. You may not use or register in any jurisdiction, whether foreign or domestic, any Symantec Trademark as all or part of your company, product, or service name in a manner that is likely to create confusion as to Symantec's sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement of your company, product, or service, or that may dilute the Symantec Trademark. Similarly, you may not use or register in any jurisdiction, whether foreign or domestic, a domain name that incorporates any Symantec Trademark in bad faith or in a manner that is likely to create confusion as to Symantec's sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement of your company, product, or service.
- Do Not Use Symantec Logos Without Permission. You may not use any Symantec logo unless you have an agreement with or express written consent from Symantec authorizing such use.
- Do Not Use Symantec Trademarks In False Or Misleading Advertising. Advertising for Symantec or its products or services offered under the Symantec Trademarks must not be false or misleading in any way and must not be in violation of any applicable law, municipal ordinance, or administrative agency regulation of any country.
- Do Not Use Symantec Trademarks In Objectionable Material. You may not use Symantec Trademarks on or in connection with any defamatory, scandalous, pornographic, or other objectionable materials of any sort.
- Do Not Use Symantec Trademarks To Disparage Symantec. You may not use Symantec Trademarks to disparage Symantec, its products or services, or in a manner that, in Symantec's reasonable judgment, may diminish or otherwise damage the reputation of Symantec or the goodwill in the Symantec Trademarks.
Permissible Uses Of Symantec Trademarks
- Use Symantec Trademarks To Refer To Symantec’s Products Or Services. With the exception of Symantec logos (the use of which must be expressly authorized by Symantec), you generally may use Symantec Trademarks to refer to Symantec's products or services in advertising, promotional, and sales materials, assuming that you have the necessary authority to sell or promote Symantec's products or services, e.g. authorized reseller, licensee, etc.
- Use Symantec Trademarks To Indicate A Relationship To Symantec Products. You may indicate the relationship of your products and services to Symantec's products or services by using an accurate referential phrase in connection with your product or service, for example, "for use with Symantec? software" or "compatible with Symantec? software" provided that: (a) the Symantec Trademark appears less prominent than the product or service name; (b) the Symantec Trademark is not a part of or incorporated in your product or service name; and (c) the referential phrase is accurate and complies with the requirements set forth in any license agreement with Symantec.
Rules For Proper Usage Of Symantec Trademarks
Proper usage of Symantec Trademarks is important for their continued protection. Proper usage aids consumers who depend upon Symantec's goods and services and helps prevent Symantec Trademarks from losing their distinctiveness and becoming generic. Licensees of Symantec Trademarks may have different rules of usage set forth in their license agreement, in which case Licensees should follow those guidelines.
- Set Symantec Trademarks Apart From Surrounding Text. When a Symantec Trademark is used in a non-stylized form, such as in the body text of an advertisement, it should be set apart and distinguished from the other words in the text. In order to do this, the Symantec Trademark may be rendered in boldface type, italics, capital letters, underscored, or set in quotation marks.
|A variety of resellers and distributors sell Norton™ software.||
||A variety of resellers and distributors sell norton software.|
|A variety of resellers and distributors sell Backup Exec™ software.||
||A variety of resellers and distributors sell backup exec software.|
- Use Symantec Trademarks As Adjectives. Trademarks are adjectives and should be followed by the generic term they modify, such as "software" or "product." Never use a trademark as a noun, a verb, or in the possessive form.
|CORRECT || ||INCORRECT
|Norton Ghost™ software provides advanced backup and recovery for your PC. |
Backup Exec™ software delivers the latest backup and restore technology.
| ||Norton Ghost™ provides advanced backup and recovery for your PC.|
Backup Exec™ your computer with the latest backup and restore technology.
Backup Exec’s™ latest backup and restore technology...
- Do Not Abbreviate Or Alter The Spelling Of Symantec Trademarks. You should not vary the appearance of Symantec Trademarks by abbreviating them, incorporating them into acronyms, changing their spelling, or using improper capitalization. The Symantec Trademark List provides the proper spelling and capitalization for each trademark.
|CORRECT || ||INCORRECT|
|Norton AntiVirus || ||NAV|
|Symantec Endpoint Protection || ||SEP|
|pcAnywhere || ||PCAnywhere|
|NetBackup || ||Netbackup or NBU|
|LiveUpdate || ||Live update|
|Backup Exec || ||BackupExec|
- Use The Proper Trademark Symbol. A Symantec Trademark should appear with the proper trademark symbol, which can be found on the Symantec Trademark List. In written materials, the appropriate symbol must be used with the first or most prominent appearance of the Symantec Trademark in headlines and the first time the Symantec Trademark appears in body text. This appropriate symbol also should be used on each subsequent page if the topic is different or if the pages can be separated and distributed independently. If the materials, product packaging, or web page includes a properly licensed Symantec logo, which already includes the appropriate trademark symbol, it is not necessary to include a trademark symbol after the word "Symantec" in the text in that material, product packaging, or web page.
Use The Proper Trademark Attribution Statement. All marketing collateral, advertisements, product packaging, web pages, manuals, and studies that include Symantec Trademarks also must include the proper trademark attribution statement crediting ownership of the Symantec Trademarks to Symantec Corporation. Typically, the attribution statement is displayed at the end of the material, in the footer of the document, or on the back of the package. The correct trademark attribution statement is:
Symantec, the Symantec Logo, [if applicable] the Checkmark Logo [if applicable] [list here any other trademarks found on the Symantec Trademarks List that are referred to or displayed in the document] [is/are] trademark[s] or registered trademark[s] of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.|
||In materials displaying a Symantec logo and referring to the PC Tools™, Norton™ AntiVirus, Symantec™ Endpoint Protection, and Veritas Netbackup™ products, the correct trademark attribution statement is:|
|Symantec, the Symantec Logo, the Checkmark Logo, PC Tools, Norton, and Veritas are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.|
||In materials referring to the PC Tools™, Norton™ AntiVirus, Symantec™ Endpoint Protection, and Veritas NetBackup™ products, but not displaying a Symantec Logo or the Checkmark Logo, the correct attribution statement is:|
|Symantec, PC Tools, NetBackup, Norton, and Veritas are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.|
Usage Rules For Symantec As A Trade Name "Symantec" functions not only as a trademark mark and service mark identifying goods and services offered by Symantec Corporation, but also as a trade name or company name referring to Symantec Corporation. Trade names are nouns and, therefore, should not be followed by a generic descriptor and may be used in the possessive form. When used as a trade name, "Symantec" should not be followed by a trademark symbol. Within documents, the first reference to the trade or company name should be "Symantec Corporation." "Symantec" can be used for subsequent references.
Usage Rules for Symantec Logos
You may not use any Symantec logo unless you have an agreement with or express written consent from Symantec authorizing such use. In the event that you are authorized to use a Symantec logo, the use must comply with these additional guidelines (or the usage guidelines set forth in your license agreement, if those guidelines differ).
- Use Only The Approved Master Artwork. The Symantec logos are single, standalone pieces of artwork. When reproducing the logos, use only the master artwork provided by Symantec. Do not alter or distort the appearance of the logo in anyway, for example, by adding your own design elements or colors or changing the font. The logo must always look sharp, clean, and well produced.
- Allow A Minimum Clear Space Around The Symantec Logo. Always allow for a minimum clear space around the Symantec logo. Never violate the clear space with any graphic elements, words or charts.
- Maintain Legibility. Never reproduce the logo in a manner that causes the logo to become illegible or blurry, which may happen if the logo is reproduced too small.
- Do Not Use Symantec Logos As A Decorative Device. Do not use any Symantec logos for purely decorative purposes in any marketing collateral, packaging, or web site without the express written permission of Symantec.
Misuse Of Symantec Trademarks By Others
If you learn of any uses of any trademarks that are confusingly similar to the Symantec Trademarks, please notify Symantec by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
. Similarly, if you become aware of any use of a Symantec Trademark that violates any of the rules described above, including failure to identify Symantec Trademarks as belonging to Symantec Corporation, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. If possible, please provide a copy of the article or other medium in which the trademark violation appeared.