Criminals are always on the lookout for new ways to commit fraud. There’s nothing new about that. But lately they’ve begun upping the ante. With the economy in tatters, the scams that fraudsters perpetrate are getting increasingly sophisticated. That’s why you need to be smarter about staying one step ahead of them.
Read on to learn about a new endpoint protection solution designed specifically to keep small businesses ahead of next-generation threats.
How serious are the latest threats? The recent Symantec Report on the Underground Economy
offers a vivid snapshot of the kind of cybercrime activity being seen today. The report details “an online underground economy that has matured into an efficient, global marketplace in which stolen goods and fraud-related services are regularly bought and sold,” and where the estimated value of goods offered by individual traders is measured in millions of dollars.
Stephen Trilling, Vice President of Symantec Security Technology and Response, summarized the report’s findings as follows:
“Today’s cybercriminals are thriving off of information they are gathering without permission from consumers and businesses. As these individuals and groups continue to devise new tools and techniques to defraud legitimate users around the globe, protection and mitigation against such attacks must become an international priority.”
And the upshot of all this fraudulent activity? According to the most recent Symantec Internet Security Threat Report:
- In just one year, the number of malicious code threats detected by Symantec rose from 125,243 to 711,912 -- an increase of 468%.
- Theft or loss of a computer or other device now accounts for more than half of all data breaches.
- Attackers today are seeking confidential end-user information that can be fraudulently used for financial gain and are less focused on the computer or device containing the information.
- In the most recent reporting period, spam made up 71% of all email traffic. (To put that in perspective, in 2001 spam accounted for 8% of all email.)
What both reports make abundantly clear is that security threats are becoming more complex, and they’re now directly targeting critical business information such as confidential documents and customer data.
Given these trends, it’s also becoming apparent that small businesses need a higher level of protection. Not just antivirus, but protection against such things as spyware, new phishing threats, and spam – that is, the kind of sophisticated threats that can evade traditional security solutions. This is especially so for companies that lack a dedicated IT team overseeing the protection of their digital assets.
At the same time, businesses need to do a better job of backing up their critical data. According to Symantec research, one-half of small and midsize businesses have lost important business data from their computers. In many cases, these organizations were able to recover the lost data from backups, but approximately 70% of them have lost some data permanently. Even among companies that proactively back up their PCs, almost two-thirds of PC backups are conducted only weekly or even less often, which means that data created in the interim is vulnerable to loss.
Of course, it’s not just data that companies need to worry about. What happens when an entire system fails? How long will it take to recover from that failure? When IT disaster strikes, businesses need to quickly restore failed systems in minutes to a specified point-in-time, without taking hours or days to manually rebuild and restore those systems.
The bottom line: Businesses know that security is important, and many of them think they’re secure. But antivirus is not enough. Comprehensive protection is needed.
The new Symantec Protection Suite Small Business Edition is designed to provide the highest levels of security at an affordable price. An all-in-one suite, it augments traditional antivirus solutions with advanced network threat protection:
- Protection against new types of threats. The Symantec Protection Suite Small Business Edition includes Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition, which is a new product designed specifically for small businesses. It provides protection beyond antivirus and leverages essential endpoint protection technologies, such as TruScan Proactive Threat Scan, into a single console to protect against today’s sophisticated threats that can evade traditional security solutions. It is also easy to use and optimizes performance and system resources so small businesses can get up and running quickly. In fact, Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition takes less than 20 minutes to install and deploy.
- Inbound and outbound email protection. As we’ve seen, spam is a serious security concern, and it can be used to deliver Trojan horses, viruses, worms, spyware, and targeted phishing attacks. Because of spam’s enormous profit potential, attackers are getting more sophisticated, using a combination of Web and email channels to deploy software capable of stealing identities, financial information, and other confidential data. The Symantec Protection Suite Small Business Edition provides high-performance mail protection against virus threats, spam, and other security risks while enforcing internal policies for companies running Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2008 or Windows Essential Business Server 2008. The suite’s content filtering features help companies control sensitive data and reduce the risks associated with data loss and leakage of confidential information.
- Complete backup and recovery. Ensuring that information and the systems it resides on are secure, backed up, and ready to recover is essential for the success of any business. The Symantec Protection Suite Small Business Edition combines security and backup and recovery capabilities to help businesses easily safeguard the vast amount of information that resides on their desktops and laptops. The suite’s rapid recovery capabilities help businesses recover what they need, when they need it, significantly accelerating recovery times so that employees can stay productive.
With security threats becoming more complex and targeting critical business information such as confidential documents and customer data, now is the time for small businesses to consider moving to a higher level of protection. Traditional antivirus products can no longer protect them completely.
The Symantec Protection Suite Small Business Edition is an all-in-one solution that safeguards all of a company’s critical business assets. By enabling businesses to be confident that their critical information and systems are protected, it empowers them to focus on succeeding in the marketplace.