New York Independent System Operator
North America |
Power & Energy |
To help keep current flowing to nearly 20 million power-hungry New Yorkers, the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) and ServerWare Corporation, a Symantec business partner, developed an innovative active-active architecture for disaster recovery. It uses Symantec clustering and Solaris 10 Containers to meet recovery targets, boost utilization by a projected 50 percentage points, avoid a $500,000 expansion, and speed time to market for new services by 80 percent. NYISO is now adapting the solution for its IBM AIX logical partition (LPAR) environment.
The New York Independent System Operator (www.nyiso.com
) manages New York’s electricity transmission grid—a 10,775-mile network of high-voltage lines that carry electricity throughout the state to 19.2 million New Yorkers. NYISO, a nonprofit corporation with 400 employees, also oversees a $12 billion wholesale electricity market serving the state.
- Applications: Custom market application, ABB Network Manager
- Database: Oracle 10g R2
- Server Platform: 14 Sun Fire V890 running Solaris 10, 120 Sun Fire V100 and V480
- 150 HP AlphaServer GS1280 running Tru64 UNIX, 2 IBM System p5 590 running IBM AIX 5.3
- Storage: 10 Hitachi TagmaStore Universal Storage Platform (USP)
- Replication: Hitachi ShadowImage and TrueCopy
- Tape Libraries: 2 Sun StorageTek 9310, Sun StorageTek SL8500