Warid Telecom (Pvt.) Ltd.
Europe, Middle East, Africa |
Why rely on multiple storage management and high availability solutions when one alone can achieve more for half the cost? It’s a straightforward question, and one that it didn’t take Warid Telecom long to answer. This fast-growing Pakistan mobile communications provider has recently deployed a new highly available server and storage infrastructure. The old environment used clustering solutions from both Symantec and Sun to support the UNIX and Windows platforms, but it made sense to standardize on one solution for the new infrastructure―as long as it offered the required availability, functionality, and performance. The answer to Warid Telecom’s question lay with Veritas Storage Foundation HA 5.0, the bundle of Veritas Storage Foundation and Veritas Cluster Server from Symantec, which has enabled the company to reduce its support services costs by 50 percent over three years. It also ensures the company benefits from the high availability of the billing system and other critical platforms.
Warid Telecom is a joint venture between Abu Dhabi Group, one of the largest business groups in the Middle East and the single largest foreign investor in Pakistan, and SingTel Group, which acquired a 30 percent equity stake in the company for US$758 million.
- Hardware: SUN Sparc Enterprise M9000/M4000, SUN StorageTek 9990v Storage, SUN StoreEdge 6500 storage, SUN SL-3000 tape library
- Operating Systems: Solaris 10 SPARC, Solaris 10 x86, Solaris 9 SPARC, Microsoft Windows 2003 Enterprise
- Applications: Oracle RAC 10g, Oracle database 10g, Oracle ERP solution
- Servers: Up to 50 SUN Blade servers, SUN x2100 & x4100 servers, Dell PowerEdge midrange servers
- Replication: Hitachi array-based Universal Replicator Software for SAN to SAN Data replication