Barrow Arctic Science Consortium
A scientific research organization on Alaska's remote North Slope, Barrow Arctic Science Consortium (BASC) needs to protect and preserve data generated by visiting researchers. Tight budgets, geographical isolation, and harsh weather mean that the two-person IT staff must protect its infrastructure with no local support resources. Visiting researchers add to the challenge by connecting their private, unprotected laptops to the consortium's networks. BASC relies on Symantec and its business partner, Advanced Internet Security (AIS), to address these issues with information security and data protection solutions. Results include zero disruptions from viruses and a greater than 90 percent reduction in backup and restore times.
La réussite en détails
Partenaire Advanced Internet Security, Inc.
Profil de l'entreprise The Barrow Arctic Science Consortium
(BASC) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the encouragement of research and education pertaining to Alaska's North Slope and the adjacent Arctic Ocean. Located within the Arctic Circle in Barrow, Alaska, BASC is fully funded by the National Science Foundation.
- Applications: Various scientific research applications, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Office
- Database: Microsoft SQL Server
- Server Platform: HP ProLiant servers running Microsoft Windows 2003, Mac OS X Server
- Storage: HP DL380 G4 and Apple Xserve RAID
- Tape Library: HP StorageWorks 1016
- Workstations: 65 HP PCs running Microsoft Windows 2003, 35 Power Mac