Installing Norton 360™ Free Trial
Q. What are the system requirements for Norton 360?
A. The minimum system requirements for Norton 360 are listed below:
- Operating System: Windows® XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional Edition, Windows XP Tablet, Windows XP Media Center 2005 or higher, Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Ultimate.
- Phishing Protection feature requires Microsoft® Internet Explorer v6.0 or higher
- Email scanning supported for POP3-compatible email clients
Minimum Hardware Requirements
- 300MHz or higher processor
- 256MB of RAM minimum
- 300MB of free hard disk space
Required for All Installations
- Standard Web browser
- Internet connection (high-speed connection required for Online Backup)
Q. How do I prepare my system for installation?
- Remove any other non-Symantec antivirus or firewall programs that are installed. To remove them, start Control Panel, and use Add or Remove programs
- Ensure that you are connected to the Internet.
- Exit all open programs on your computer, except for your Web browser.
Q. How do I install and activate Norton 360 trialware?
- Check to see if the computer meets the minimum system requirements
- Prepare your system for installation
- Click “Begin Download” within email
- Within the pop-up box click “Save,” and choose where to save the file.
- Find the saved file and double click on the software icon and click “Run”, then “Run” again.
- Read and accept the License Agreement; you cannot continue the installation until you accept.
- In the Installation Options panel, review the options, and then click Next.
- If the Norton™ Account panel appears, do one of the following:
- If you already have a Norton account, complete the "Sign in to an existing Norton Account" section.
- If you want to create a new Norton Account, complete the "Create a Norton Account" section.
- Click Next.
- When the Norton 360 installation completes, review your subscription details, and then click Finish.
Q. I did not install Norton 360 from my welcome email, can I still try Norton 360?
A. Absolutely, click here to download the free 30-day trial.
Back to top
Q. What is Norton 360?
A. Norton 360 is the latest in a long line of industry-leading security products from Symantec. Norton 360 is an all-inclusive security, backup and tune-up service that automatically protects you, your family, your data and your PC so that you can freely engage in your everyday online activities without worry. This comprehensive solution includes new functionality for automated backup of your photos and other important files and fraud protection during your online transactions. Delivered as an annual subscription, Norton 360 automatically installs both definition updates and product upgrades, protecting you from the latest threats via the world's largest Internet security network.
Q. How do I purchase Norton 360?
A. Click here to buy and download a 1-year subscription to Norton 360 for up to 3 household PCs.
Q. How does Norton 360 improve consumers' trust online?
A. Consumer trust online is eroding. According to a June 2005 Gartner and Cyber Security Industry Alliance survey, 53 percent of consumers fear identity theft and 14 percent fear online banking; as a result, 30 percent have reduced their Internet use and 42 percent have modified their online shopping behavior. A November 2005 Symantec fraud survey found that 71 percent of consumers are not comfortable sharing private information online. What's more, Symantec estimates that 30 to 40 percent of all connected consumer systems are not adequately protected.
Norton 360 helps establish trust in online interactions among consumers and between businesses and consumers. Symantec has the technology, brand, and installed base to enable a new age of trust on the Internet. Norton 360 expands beyond protecting infrastructure and information to protecting relationships.
Q. How does Norton 360 protect consumers' digital content?
A. In a Feb. 2006 survey, Harris Interactive determined that 46% of adults surveyed NEVER back up their personal data. To protect your photos, financial files, music, and other important data, Norton 360 provides new Backup and Restore functionality including a user-friendly Backup Setup wizard. Norton 360's backup capabilities include automatic detection of content; incremental storage of any new data or files, automated scheduling for backup; local options to backup and restore data via CDs, DVDs, and external drives; option to backup and restore data virtually via a secure online service; and encryption of data stored online.
Back to top
Q. How does the Norton 360 subscription work?
A. Licensed as a subscription service for up to 3 PCs, Norton 360 provides users with the rights to use and receive product updates for the term of the subscription. Typically, Norton 360 will be offered to users in one-year terms and will prompt users to auto-renew before their subscription expires. As long as their subscription is valid, users are eligible for and will receive any product upgrades or content updates (virus and spyware definitions) automatically.
Q. Does Norton 360 work with existing Norton products?
A. Designed as a comprehensive all-in-one protection service, Norton 360 encompasses the functionality of many existing Norton products. While existing Norton products will co-exist whenever possible, Norton 360 will detect and uninstall certain Norton products with redundant functionality in order to provide that seamless user experience.
Back to top
Q: What PC Security features does Norton 360 provide?
A. Backed by the largest Security Response network in the world, Norton 360 provides the following PC Security features with an unmatched depth of security technologies:
- Virus detection and remediation
- Spyware detection and remediation
- Two-way silent firewall
- Intrusion prevention
- Vulnerability assessment
Q. How do the virus and spyware detection and remediation features in Norton 360 work?
A. Backed by the largest Security Response network in the world, Norton 360 provides the latest technology in virus and spyware detection and remediation. Norton 360 supports advanced rootkit detection and removal as well as real-time virus and spyware remediation. Norton 360 also includes Symantec's Auto-Protect feature which provides continuous monitoring of any files that are opened or executed to prevent viruses or malicious code from infecting PCs.
Q. How does Norton 360 protect users when instant messaging?
A. Norton 360 protects against malicious attachments in instant messaging with its Auto-Protect feature. Auto-Protect scans any files that are opened or executed to prevent viruses or other malicious code from infecting users PCs.
Back to top
Q. What Transaction Security features does Norton 360 provide?
A. Norton 360 provides innovative Transaction Security features to thwart fraudulent or malicious activities:
- Phishing protection against dangerous Web sites and online scams
- Web site authentication to verify the authenticity of e-commerce sites during online transactions
Q: What Backup and Restore features does Norton 360 provide?
A. To protect photos, music, financial files, and other important data, Norton 360 provides new Backup and Restore features including:
- Included online storage space
- Automatic detection of content for storage
- Incremental storage of any new data or files
- Automated scheduling for backup
- Local options to back up and restore data via CDs, DVDs, external drives
- Option to back up and restore data virtually via a secure online service
- Encryption of data stored online
Q. How does Norton 360 online backup work?
A. Norton 360's Online Backup functionality works by detecting any new content available for backup and storing that incremental data in an online location either during idle time or at some scheduled time. Data security is ensured by encrypting it during transmission as well as during storage.
Back to top
Q. Can users purchase additional storage space for Norton 360 online backup?
A. Yes, Norton 360 will allow users to purchase additional online storage space.
Q. How does Symantec ensure the security of online backup?
A. Symantec ensures the security of online backup through a variety of measures including: encryption of data during file transfer, user authentication tokens, and per-session keys. Data to be stored is encrypted using 256-bit AES encryption and the transmission is encrypted using 128-bit AES encryption.
Q. Does Norton 360 support system recovery like Norton Ghost and Norton Save and Restore?
A. No, in this initial version of Norton 360, system recovery functionality is not available. System recovery functionality is being evaluated for future versions of Norton 360.
Norton 360 Comparison
Q. How does Norton 360 compare to Norton Internet Security?
A. While Norton Internet Security provides "essential security" when computing online, Norton 360 extends "comprehensive protection" to digital music, photos, and files, and maintains PC performance with tune-up functionality. Norton 360 and Norton Internet Security provide the same essential security for antivirus, antispyware, firewall, intrusion prevention, and security inspector. Norton 360 also incorporates the Background Scheduler feature which allows Norton 360 to work on threats, backups, and tune-ups quietly when users are not engaged with their computers.
Q. How does Norton 360 compare to Norton Confidential?
A. Norton 360 provides key elements of transaction security from Norton Confidential: phishing protection and Web site authentication. Norton Confidential provides additional transaction security features including crimeware protection, password security and password blocking. Norton Confidential complements other security products and can be installed with those other solutions, while Norton 360's broad functionality obsoletes the need for other security products.
Q. What are the key differentiators of Norton 360 vs. competitive products?
A. Norton 360 stands out versus competitive products because of several key differences:
- Comprehensive PC Security: Norton 360 provides comprehensive protection including antivirus, antispyware, firewall, intrusion prevention, and vulnerability assessment.
- New Antiphishing Technology: Norton 360 protects consumers by integrating transaction security technology to detect and prevent phishing attacks, as well as to authenticate trusted brand name Web sites.
- Flexible Backup and Restore Options: Norton 360 automatically discovers any new files or media content and backs up that data in real time to either local or online backup locations. The online backup option minimizes user intervention by conveniently storing data to secure online storage servers. Users can easily restore data through a user-friendly restoration wizard.
- Superior User Experience: Norton 360 delivers a simplified user experience with at-a-glance status information and through its Background Scheduler. Norton 360 intelligently and automatically addresses problems quietly in the background, and also provides embedded support if users need additional help.
- Backed by Symantec's Security Response Network: Norton 360 is backed by the world's most robust Global Intelligence Network of security operation and response centers.
Back to top