Entrust Technologies and Symantec Corporation Provide First Comprehensive Secure Desktop Suites
Broad Strategic Alliance Includes Joint Development and Cross-Licensing of Companies' Technology
RSA Data Security Conference, San Francisco, Calif. --January 12, 1998--Entrust Technologies, Inc., the leading provider of Certification Authority (CA) and public-key management products, and Symantec Corporation (Nasdaq: SYMC), the worldwide leader in desktop security and assistance software, have agreed to a joint development, cross-licensing and distribution arrangement for their respective technologies. The deal will provide customers -- for the first time -- with comprehensive security solutions for the desktop that are built on proven technology and based on open industry standards.
The resulting secure desktop suites, based on award-winning technology from both companies, will provide comprehensive, easily managed desktop solutions, while offering scalable certificate management and centralized key backup and recovery to the consumer, workgroup and enterprise.
"Today's complex computing environment demands easy-to-use, transparent solutions that can be enjoyed by a wide range of users. Entrust Technologies' and Symantec's partnership gives users access to a comprehensive desktop solution with interoperable components that are based on open standards," said John Ryan, president and chief executive officer, Entrust Technologies. "Additionally, the use of Entrust's® FIPS 140-1 validated security kernel provides an assurance of high quality."
"Our customers have told us they want comprehensive and integrated solutions to secure the data on their desktop computers," said Gordon Eubanks, president and chief executive officer, Symantec Corporation. "Symantec and Entrust will deliver these solutions, which are built on proven security technology that has been adopted by financial institutions, governments and Fortune 1000 corporations around the world."
The Entrust/Symantec agreement consists of several key components:
- Entrust will license and include in its Secure Enterprise Desktop Solution Symantec's Your Eyes Only and Norton AntiVirus (NAV) desktop security products. Symantec's components will be added to Entrust's existing secure e-mail and Web offerings to create a scalable solution that meets the security needs of the enterprise.
- Symantec will license Entrust's public-key infrastructure (PKI) technology and layer it over Norton AntiVirus and Norton Your Eyes Only for the Norton Secure Desktop Suite, a future product solution to be announced by Symantec at a later date. As part of this solution, Entrust software will provide certificate management services to Symantec's Your Eyes Only and Norton AntiVirus products.
- Entrust will license and incorporate into its EntrustFile Toolkit Symantec's Norton AntiVirus API. This will allow Entrust-Ready products to call for anti-virus detection prior to encryption or decryption. As a result, encrypted files that previously could not be scanned for viruses are no longer a risk in the corporate computing environment.
- Symantec will bundle Entrust/Solo, which provides digital signature capabilities for individuals, with its Norton AntiVirus Deluxe product. This solution is targeted to the retail market.
- Entrust's and Symantec's integrated secure desktop suites will be based on industry standards such as X.509, S/MIME, and PKIX which will ensure interoperability. In addition, both companies have agreed to collaborate in driving open interfaces.
Entrust Technologies is dedicated to ensuring the privacy and authenticity of data communications enterprise-wide. Its award-winning public-key infrastructure technology combines encryption and digital signature capabilities with fully automated
key management. Widely used by financial institutions, government agencies and high-tech corporations, the Entrust software family provides a complete security solution across multiple platforms for desktops, corporate networks, intranets and the
Internet. Entrust Technologies is headquartered in Richardson, TX with offices in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Philadelphia, Boston, St. Louis, Raleigh, McLean, Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal. Entrust is a majority-owned subsidiary of Nortel (Northern Telecom). It was recognized by Red Herring Magazine as one of the top 50 private technology companies of 1997.
Symantec Corporation helps make users productive and keep their computers safe and reliable anywhere and anytime. Symantec offers a broad range of solutions and is acclaimed as a leader in both customer satisfaction and product brand recognition. The company is focused on addressing customer needs in three main application areas: the Norton Product line of anti-virus and PC-assistance products; the pcANYWHERE, WinFax, and ACT! product lines that cater to remote user productivity; and the Café product lines in Internet development tools.
Founded in 1982, the company's global operations span North America, Europe, Japan, and several fast-growing markets throughout Asia Pacific and Latin America. Traded on Nasdaq under the symbol SYMC, Symantec Corporation is based in Cupertino, California, and employs more than 2,000 people. Information on the company and its products can be obtained by calling (800) 441-7234 toll free, (541) 334-6054, or accessed on the World Wide Web at http://www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's web site.
Brands and products referenced herein are the trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.