Symantec Ghost 6.5 Enterprise Eases Deployment of Operating System and Application Updates
CUPERTINO,Calif. -Sep. 05, 2000- Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced Symantec Ghost 6.5 Enterprise Edition, a comprehensive PC management tool that provides administrators with a flexible solution for operating system deployment, software and hardware distribution and disaster recovery. With pending Logo Certification for Microsoft Windows 2000, Symantec Ghost 6.5 will be a tool of choice for migrating to Windows 2000.
"Symantec Ghost 6.5 Enterprise eases distribution and maintenance difficulties for IT administrators," said Gail Hamilton, senior vice president, Enterprise Solutions Division, Symantec Corporation. "Administrators now have an easy-to-use interface tool with which to manage their system -- across both a networked or mobile environment."
Improved Management Tool For Administrators
Symantec Ghost 6.5 includes several new features designed to give administrators the most complete information available regarding their enterprise environments:
- Ghost AutoInstall: a new utility designed to deploy application-specific images and delta changes to both networked and remote PCs. This feature automates software distribution, installation, and configuration across a networked or mobile environment. Ghost AutoInstall also enables administrators to install software packages and configuration changes to non-connected PCs, and provides sophisticated editing tools for customizing application packages as well as network scheduling and functionality reporting. In addition, Ghost AutoInstall is capable of replicating Microsoft Software Installations (MSI) which is becoming the defacto standard for installation packages such as Microsoft Office 2000.
- Console Wizard: provides an easy-to-use interface that guides administrators through common Ghost tasks.
- License Audit Utility: provides a means for administrators to determine the number of Ghost licenses in use; view the contents of an image from the console; and access client status reports which indicate when a PC is ready to be cloned.
- Ghost Console: enables routine tasks to occur concurrently, allowing them to be executed immediately, scheduled, or issued from a DOS command line. An administrator can remotely turn on a PC which supports Wake on LAN; push or pull an image to or from the PC; deploy an AutoInstall application package or delta change; transfer a single file or executable to the PC via Unicast; send an arbitrary command to a client to run an application or file; and then shut the machines down.
- Unicast support: enables faster PC- to-PC imaging via peer-to-peer IP networks.
- Support for Microsoft's Remote Installation Services (RIS) and 3Com's DynamicAccess Boot Services: simplifies PC Deployment by alleviating the need to visit the workstation with a boot disk. In conjunction with Microsoft's RIS, Ghost 6.5 includes the ability to create and deploy a RIS Boot Package to any PXE compliant PC. By integrating with 3Com's DynamicAccess Boot Services, Ghost now has the ability to take advantage of 3Com's pre-boot management technology to perform operating system and application installations and upgrades as well as perform desktop disaster recovery.
- LiveUpdate: Symantec's award-winning utility for updating server and client software.
Symantec Ghost 6.5 Enterprise Edition is now available through Symantec's worldwide network of distributors and resellers. For more information about purchasing Symantec Ghost 6.5, call 1-800-745-6054 or to down load a trial version of the product visit
Symantec is the world leader in providing solutions to help individuals and enterprises assure the security, availability, and integrity of their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Web site. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, VERITAS, and the VERITAS logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENT: This press release contains forward-looking statements. There are certain important factors that could cause Symantec's future development efforts to differ materially from those anticipated by some of the statements made above. Among these are the anticipation of the growth of certain market segments, the positioning of Symantec's products in those segments, the competitive environment in the software industry, dependence on other products, changes to operating systems and product strategy by vendors of operating systems, and the importance of new Symantec products. Additional information concerning those and other factors is contained in the "Risk Factors" section of the company's annual report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended April 2, 1999.
News Releases |