Symantec's Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.5
Integrates Digital Immune System Technology To Provide Automated Virus Protection Enterprise-Wide
Latest Component of Symantec Enterprise Security Offers
Enhanced Manageability and Administration
CUPERTINO, Calif. -October 31, 2000 - Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC), the leader in Internet security, today announced Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.5, which provides customers with enterprise-class protection at the desktop and file/print server tiers of the corporate network. Symantec's Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.5 is a key component of Symantec Enterprise Security, a comprehensive and modular Internet security solution for enterprise computing environments.
Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.5 is the only product in the anti-virus market with closed-loop automation technology. This technology is a part of the Digital Immune System, a sophisticated back-end infrastructure designed to provide enterprise customers with the highest levels of protection available. The Digital Immune System greatly improves system uptime by providing automatic, reliable, and hands-free virus detection, analysis, and delivery of virus cures to an infected PC or entire corporation with or without administrator intervention depending on the needs of the administrator. New flood control capabilities also decrease bandwidth problems that occur when too many users attempt to submit infected files.
"The increased use of the Web and the growing adoption of more Internet technologies provide fertile ground for viruses to spread quickly and in epidemic proportions," said Gail Hamilton, senior vice president, Enterprise Security Division, Symantec. "As part of Symantec Enterprise Security, Norton AntiVirus 7.5 enables customers to build the best security solution for their organization."
Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.5 includes several new features to ease administration and manageability:
- As part of the Digital Immune System, Internet-based Scan and Deliver now offers the ability to submit infected files to Symantec via the Internet using HTTPS, removing the reliance of an email-based submission system. Internet Scan & Deliver provides faster submissions, faster virus response time and increased security.
- Web-based installation support allows customers to point their clients at an internal Web server and download the software, thereby eliminating the need to rely on login scripts or third-party distribution tools. Support for resumable downloads eliminates the need to restart a download from the beginning if the connection is lost while downloading from an Internet Web server.
- Alert forwarding for lightly managed clients allows administrators to configure and lock-down client settings on hard-to-reach remote/laptop computers and configure centralized virus alerting for clients not managed by the central management console.
- Virus definition rollback gives administrators the option of returning to a previous set of virus definitions from the convenience of one central location. Administrators can also reinitiate missed events such as a scheduled virus scan, thereby ensuring maximum virus protection.
- Support node, an HTML viewer with a live link to Symantec Support, enables administrators to access timely service and support information without leaving their consoles.
- Symantec System Center provides an intuitive centralized console for customers who need to protect, control, and monitor their customers' machines from a single console. Administrators are able to set and lock down policies to ensure users are fully protected at all times.
- NAVEX technology maximizes system uptime and minimizes total cost of ownership by creating a single common extensible scanning and repair engine across multiple tiers-including Windows 9x, Windows NT, and Windows 2000-removing the need to reboot or re-deploy software.
Symantec's Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.5 provides multi-tier protection for Windows 2000/9x, Windows NT/2000 workstation and server, NetWare, and Windows 3.x/DOS. For additional product information call (800) 745-6054 or visit www.symantec.com. To obtain licensing information or to locate a reseller, visit http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/license/on the World Wide Web.
Symantec Enterprise Security
Symantec Enterprise Security provides corporations with a comprehensive and modular Internet security solution. The solution allows customers to manage the complete security lifecycle of their computing environment from assessment and planning to implementation and monitoring.
Symantec Enterprise Security enables customers to build the best security solution for their organization by choosing from Symantec's best-of-breed, multi-platform Internet security products; manageability and administration tools; and world-class professional services and support. Symantec Enterprise Security also includes the Digital Immune System, Symantec's unique technology for automatic detection and cure of security threats.
Symantec is the world leader in providing solutions to help individuals and enterprises assure the security, availability, and integrity of their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Web site. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, VERITAS, and the VERITAS logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENT: This press release contains forward-looking statements. There are certain important factors that could cause Symantec's future development efforts to differ materially from those anticipated by some of the statements made above. Among these are the anticipation of the growth of certain market segments, the positioning of Symantec's products in those segments, the competitive environment in the software industry, dependence on other products, fluctuations in currency exchange rates and economic structures of foreign operations, changes to operating systems and product strategy by vendors of operating systems, and the importance of new Symantec products. Additional information concerning those and other factors is contained in the "Risk Factors" section of the company's previously filed Form 10-K for the year ended March 31,
2000 and Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2000.
News Releases |