Ghost 6.5 Earns Logo Certification for Microsoft Windows 2000
Ghost 6.5 Becomes First In Its Category To Achieve Logo Certification For Windows
CUPERTINO, Calif. - Jan. 9, 2001 - Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced that Ghost 6.5 Enterprise Edition has earned both Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Logo Certification and Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Logo Certification.
Ghost 6.5, released in September 2000, is a comprehensive PC management tool that provides administrators with a flexible solution for operating system deployment, software and hardware distribution and disaster recovery.
"Symantec Ghost 6.5 Enterprise provides IT administrators with a highly reliable, time-saving management tool for deployment of operating systems and application updates," said Joe Wang, vice president, Symantec Enterprise Administration. "The rigorous testing required for Logo Certification provides third-party validation for IT administrators who choose Ghost 6.5 for its ease-of-use and its cost-saving potential."
To earn certification, Symantec Ghost 6.5 met a comprehensive set of test criteria implemented by VeriTest, the authorized worldwide laboratory for testing both desktop and server applications for the "Certified for Windows" logo from Microsoft. A summary of the criteria is available at www.microsoft.com.
"At VeriTest, we are committed to vigorous and thorough testing, so that customers can be sure certified applications are reliable, manageable, secure and take full advantage of Windows 2000 technology," said Jim Bampos, Sr. Vice President, VeriTest Services at Lionbridge Technologies. "Ghost 6.5 passed through our Certification for Windows program with flying colors."
Improved Management Tool For Administrators
Symantec Ghost 6.5 includes several key features designed to give administrators the most complete information available regarding their enterprise environments:
- Ghost AutoInstall: a new utility designed to deploy application-specific images and delta changes to both networked and remote PCs. This feature automates software distribution, installation, and configuration across a networked or mobile environment. Ghost AutoInstall also enables administrators to install software packages and configuration changes to non-connected PCs, and provides sophisticated editing tools for customizing application packages as well as network scheduling and functionality reporting. In addition, Ghost AutoInstall is capable of replicating Microsoft Software Installations (MSI) which is becoming the defacto standard for installation packages such as Microsoft Office 2000.
- Console Wizard: provides an easy-to-use interface that guides administrators through common Ghost tasks.
- License Audit Utility: provides a means for administrators to determine the number of Ghost licenses in use; view the contents of an image from the console; and access client status reports which indicate when a PC is ready to be cloned.
- Ghost Console: enables routine tasks to occur concurrently, allowing them to be executed immediately, scheduled, or issued from a DOS command line. An administrator can remotely turn on a PC which supports Wake on LAN; push or pull an image to or from the PC; deploy an AutoInstall application package or delta change; transfer a single file or executable to the PC via Unicast; send an arbitrary command to a client to run an application or file; and then shut the machines down.
- Unicast support: enables faster PC- to-PC imaging via peer-to-peer IP networks.
- Support for Microsoft's Remote Installation Services (RIS) and 3Com's DynamicAccess Boot Services: simplifies PC Deployment by alleviating the need to visit the workstation with a boot disk. In conjunction with Microsoft's RIS, Ghost 6.5 includes the ability to create and deploy a RIS Boot Package to any PXE compliant PC. By integrating with 3Com's DynamicAccess Boot Services, Ghost now has the ability to take advantage of 3Com's pre-boot management technology to perform operating system and application installations and upgrades as well as perform desktop disaster recovery.
- LiveUpdate: Symantec's award-winning utility for updating server and client software.
Symantec Ghost 6.5 Enterprise Edition is now available worldwide. For more information about purchasing Symantec Ghost 6.5, call 1-800-745-6054 or to down load a trial version of the product visit
Symantec is the world leader in providing solutions to help individuals and enterprises assure the security, availability, and integrity of their information. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please view the Symantec Press Center at http://www.symantec.com/PressCenter/ on Symantec's Web site. All prices noted are in US dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, VERITAS, and the VERITAS logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENT: This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause our actual results, levels of activity, performance or achievements to differ materially from results expressed or implied by this press release. Such risk factors include, among others: the risk that the Symantec and AXENT businesses will not be integrated successfully; the costs related to the merger; the difficulty of developing and marketing products that compete effectively with others and other economic, business, competitive and/or regulatory factors affecting Symantec's business generally. Actual results may differ materially from those contained in the forward-looking statements in this press release. Additional information concerning these and other risk factors is contained in the Risk Factors sections of the Company's previously filed Form 10-K for the year.
News Releases |