Symantec Ghost 7.0 Provides IT Administrators with Enhanced PC Deployment and Increased Management Capabilities
CUPERTINO, Calif. - April 2, 2001 - Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced Symantec Ghost 7.0 Enterprise Edition, a comprehensive PC management software tool that provides IT administrators with industry leading technology for fast and reliable PC change and configuration tasks. Symantec Ghost 7.0 Enterprise Edition allows administrators to remotely clone, deploy, configure, back-up, restore and distribute software and user specific images to network and mobile PCs.
Ghost 7.0 Enterprise Edition is designed to facilitate PC management throughout a computer's lifecycle by eliminating the need for an IT administrator to visit the workstation to perform routine maintenance or disaster recovery tasks. With the release of Ghost 7.0, the introduction of Incremental Backup also provides IT administrators with an easy means to bring a PC back to a known and safe environment if a security breach should occur.
"Symantec Ghost 7.0 Enterprise enables companies to migrate to new operating systems such as Windows 2000 easily and quickly," said Joe Wang, vice president of Symantec's Enterprise Administration Division. "Ghost 7.0 can collect user files and desktop settings from network PCs before deploying a new OS. This functionality allows IT administrators to migrate their desktop PCs centrally, without losing user data or configuration settings."
Symantec's Ghost 7.0 Enterprise Edition has earned both Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Logo Certification and Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Logo Certification. To earn these certifications, Ghost 7.0 Enterprise Edition met a comprehensive set of test criteria implemented by VeriTest, the authorized worldwide laboratory for testing both desktop and server applications for the "Certified for Windows" logo from Microsoft.
Improved Management Tool For Administrators
Symantec Ghost 7.0 includes several new features designed to provide IT administrators with enhanced PC deployment and increased management capabilities to help manage their enterprise environments:
- Ghost User Migration: A Ghost Console Task designed to migrate user data and settings from one PC to another. This feature allows an IT administrator to capture user files, directories, and desktop settings and easily copy them to a new PC.
- Ghost Incremental Backup: A Ghost Console Task designed to take incremental snapshots of a PC. Ghost Incremental Backup enables an IT administrator to capture changes that have occurred since the last Ghost image.
- Includes 3Com"Boot Servicesä Software: Introduce new systems to the network without having to physically visit them through support for Intel's Wired for ManagementTM technology. IT administrators can now take full advantage of 3Com's network booting and pre-boot management technology to further automate the deployment of Ghost OS and Application Images as well as perform desktop disaster recovery. 3Com Boot Services includes PXE, BOOTP and TFTP services, as well as tools to administer boot image files and client boot parameter files.
- Microsoft System Preparation Utility Integration: Provides support for Microsoft's System Preparation tool which prepares a master computer for Ghost cloning. Combining Ghost with Microsoft's System Preparation tool reduces the number of images to be maintained by reducing hardware incompatibilities between images.
- Ghost/AutoInstall Integration: Provides AutoInstall functionality within the Ghost Console. The Ghost and AutoInstall Client have been merged to reduce the size of the overall footprint. Users are now able to create software packages or changes using the Ghost Console.
- Smaller and Faster: The Ghost executable has been redeveloped to be swifter with a smaller footprint. Users can now clone and refresh machines using the industry-leading disk cloning solution with even greater speed.
Symantec Ghost 7.0 Enterprise Edition is available through Symantec's worldwide network of distributors and resellers. For additional product information call (800) 745-6054 or visit www.symantec.com. To obtain licensing information or to locate a reseller, visit http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/license/ on the World Wide Web.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, AXENT, AXENT Technologies, and the AXENT logo are trademarks or registered trademarks, in the United States and certain other countries, of Symantec Corporation or its subsidiaries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
Symantec, a world leader in Internet security technology, provides a broad range of content and network security solutions to individuals and enterprises. The company is a leading provider of virus protection, vulnerability assessment, intrusion prevention, Internet content and e-mail filtering, remote management technologies and security services to enterprises around the world. Symantec's Norton brand of consumer security products leads the market in worldwide retail sales and industry awards. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has worldwide operations in 36 countries. For more information, please visit our Web site at www.symantec.com.
FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENT: This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding future technology and products, that involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause our actual results, levels of activity, performance or achievements to differ materially from results expressed or implied by this press release. Such risk factors include, among others: the risk that the Symantec and AXENT businesses will not be integrated successfully; the costs related to the merger; the difficulty of developing and marketing products that compete effectively with others, new security threats, and other economic, business, competitive and/or regulatory factors affecting Symantec's business generally. Actual results may differ materially from those contained in the forward-looking statements in this press release. Additional information concerning these and other risk factors is contained in the Risk Factors sections of the Company's previously filed Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended March 30, 2000.
News Releases |