Symantec to Support New Version of Virus Scanning API for Microsoft Exchange 2000
CUPERTINO, Calif. - June 25, 2001 - Symantec Corporation (Nasdaq: SYMC), a world leader in Internet security, today announced its Norton AntiVirus 2.5 for Microsoft Exchange 2000 will support the next version of Microsoft's virus scanning Application Program Interface (VS API) available with Microsoft Exchange 2000 Service Pack 1. Symantec's support of Microsoft's VS API 2.0 will provide enterprise customers with a method to keep Microsoft Exchange 2000 systems free of viruses while maintaining the performance, scalability, and integrity of the Microsoft Exchange 2000 system.
"With the abundance of recent e-mail virus attacks, it's clear that enterprise organizations must protect themselves with best-of-breed, performance-enhancing security at multiple entry points," said Gail Hamilton, executive vice president, Product Delivery and Response, Symantec Corporation. "We're thrilled that Symantec's Norton AntiVirus 2.5 for Microsoft Exchange 2000 will support the new version of Microsoft's virus scanning API and will ultimately provide corporate administrators with the most reliable and cost-effective solution for protecting e-mail environments."
"We're pleased that Symantec will provide our customers with a solution that supports Microsoft's VS API 2.0," said Kevin McCuistion, Group Product Manager for Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft Corporation. "Symantec is proving it is dedicated to providing solutions for the varying anti-virus needs of its enterprise customers."
As part of the Symantec Enterprise Security solution, Symantec's Norton AntiVirus 2.5 for Microsoft Exchange 2000 will provide customers with comprehensive and automatic virus protection. Symantec's Norton AntiVirus 2.5 for Microsoft Exchange will deliver highly automated and hands-free virus protection along with the following features:
- Microsoft's VS API 2.0 will now allow Symantec's Norton AntiVirus for Microsoft Exchange 2000 to scan 100 percent of both inbound and outbound e-mail, including attachments, before any other process or client application touch takes place.
- Symantec's Norton AntiVirus 2.5 for Microsoft Exchange 2000 is fully compliant with Windows 2000 and Microsoft Exchange 2000, and it supports the different server clustering options that are available to the Microsoft Exchange 2000 user (such as a active/passive and active/active cluster configurations).
- In order to maximize the ability for customers to deal with new virus outbreaks, Symantec's Norton AntiVirus for Exchange 2000 will include the ability to perform proactive anti-virus filtering. Proactive anti-virus filtering is the ability to automatically filter out emails with inappropriate attachment names or extensions.
- Symantec's Norton AntiVirus 2.5 for Exchange 2000 will feature an easy-to-use HTML-based interface that allows administrators to manage the software from any location. Comprehensive reporting capabilities enable administrators to view, print, and export valuable information in numerous report formats.
- Symantec's Norton AntiVirus 2.5 for Exchange 2000 will be powered with NAVEX to minimize IT costs in the face of unknown virus threats. With this unique technology, Symantec's Norton AntiVirus can be updated to include protection from new and unknown viruses, and administrators can update protection without having to re-deploy the software, resulting in significant cost reductions.
- Symantec's Norton AntiVirus 2.5 for Exchange 2000 will also include the Digital Immune System, Symantec's unique technology that automates the submission of potential threats and automatically delivers cures to problem machines or the entire enterprise.
Symantec Enterprise Security
Symantec Enterprise Security provides any size organization with the technology, global response and services necessary to manage its information security. Symantec's comprehensive solution offers best-of-breed products to protect gateways, servers, and clients with virus protection, firewall security, intrusion detection and vulnerability management. Customers benefit from Symantec's global network of researchers that provide customers with around-the-clock, immediate response to any new security-related attacks. Symantec Enterprise Security customers are also supported by one of the largest professional security organizations in the world, offering security consulting, security education and managed security services. For more information, please visit Symantec's enterprise Web site at http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/.
Symantec, a world leader in Internet security technology, provides a broad range of content and network security solutions to individuals and enterprises. The company is a leading provider of virus protection, vulnerability assessment, intrusion prevention, Internet content and e-mail filtering, remote management technologies and security services to enterprises around the world. Symantec's Norton brand of consumer security products leads the market in worldwide retail sales and industry awards. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has worldwide operations in 36 countries. For more information, please visit our Web site at www.symantec.com.
Symantec, the Symantec logo, AXENT, AXENT Technologies, and the AXENT logo are trademarks or registered trademarks, in the United States and certain other countries, of Symantec Corporation or its subsidiaries. Additional company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the individual companies and are respectfully acknowledged.
News Releases |